Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeds_of_grace

Low growing perennials

Seeds_of_Grace
19 years ago

Are there any low growing flowering perennials that would look nice surrounding a jap maple? I have a front incline (not too steep) next to my entry steps that has this jm planted in it from previous owner. I don't want to dig it up but it really is challenging my design skills. I'm a "plopper" type gardner very fond of the cottage garden style. But this triangular bed with the jm in it is beyond my thinking process. I planted it up the first year with all kinds of black eyed susans, cat mint, ornamental grasses, herbs, etc. and it looked well like pooh. The height of the plants challenged the jm (probably 6-8 feet tall). Any ideas? Love you guys. YOu are wonderful.P.S. I have a colonial style house and was considering just using english ivy with some creeping flox along the front retainer wall made of stone???

Comments (9)

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

You might consider evergreens like Blue Rug juniper, Sweet William that will make a thick carpet of pretty green foliage or if you have sun, Walkers Low catmint, is a low growing clump that blooms all summer. I'd consider using one type of groundcover, since the maple is the true star of that bed. The perennial forum would probably give you a lot more!

• jenmike
    19 years ago

A vinca (myrtle) might look nice, my grows and spreads like crazy and has lovely little purple flowers.

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

You should consider the low growing shade loving groundcovers such as strawbery begonia (saxifraga sarmentosum) and sweet woodruff (galium oderatum)
    The strawberry begonia has a wonderful slivery green variegation with reddish tint on the undersides of the leaves. it puts out a small airy white flower similar to that of coral bells. the sweet woodruff has attractive bright green palmate foliage and has a blanket of little white star type flowers in the spring. both are good spreaders.

• petal_pusher
    19 years ago

Lamium is a nice low plant that looks good practically all year.

• geeky_gardener
    19 years ago

How about Dianthas 'Cheddar Pink', Golden edged Thyme, Artemesia 'Silver Brocade', Campanula poscharskayana, Phlox divaricata (native, and much nicer than creeping phlox) or Sedum Vera Johnson? If you go with a English ivy, how about a golden one? That would pop against the jm. I have a gold one and love it! Hope these suggestions help.

• rosewomann
    19 years ago

I have variegated Liriope under my bloodgood JM. It provides a good contrasting color. The bulbs I inter-planted never get seen unless I hurry & cut them back in the spring. This year I will try to do it in fall when the bulb foliage won't be in the way!

• sbeuerlein
    19 years ago

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides is an awesome low-grower. Good in sun or shade. Bright blue flowers from June to a heavy frost, and red fall color to boot. Indestructable.

Scott

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

What about coral bells or Lady's Mantle? I also love Hakone Grass with my japanese maple.

• jeanner
    19 years ago

Cotoneaster is a nice groundcover, I trim mine so it is higher in the back than the front. I don't keep mine trimmed real tight, I prefer to let it get a little irregular (for lack of a better word). It is covered with small white flowers in the spring and then berries through the fall and winter.

Heres a picture of my japanese maple, the cotoneaster is the fine leaved plant towards the front of the garden.

{{gwi:1072099}}

Sponsored