Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ghastly Red Gall

Posted by hundredswife Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 12:17

Can someone help me? We bought our home 2 years ago on a lovely wooded acre lot. This year one of our smaller trees (the leaves look like it's some kind of Hickory) has this ghastly "red galls" on 95% of the trees leaves. I am not able to post an actual photo of our tree so I'll try to discribe it: The "galls" look like (human) skin tags - LOTS of them on each leaf - and RED! YUCK!

Please, anyone, can you tell me whats happening what WILL happen will our tree survive and will it spread to other trees, what can we do about it or IF we should do anything? Thanks for ANY help.

P.S. I found a photo that looks just like my problem on a college website - but I am not suppose to post that address???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ghastly Red Gall

I wonder if your leaf problem looks like any shown on this site: http://www.hsu.edu/content.aspx?id=2151 I haven't found anything about how to treat it. Maybe you should take a sample to your local county extension agent.

o

Yes! So I am not going crazy? Thank you! I think I will take a sample to someone local for advice. Although, thanks to you, I think I found a name for the problem "Eriophyes tiliae: Mite"

Here's another photo that looks like it:
"http://www.insectimages.org/images/768x512/4554064.jpg

Thank you for you help, Wishful!

o

You are welcome. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here