Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Looking for the pink tradescantia!

alison
19 years ago

Someone brought pink tradescantia to the central Ohio swap, and I got two containers of it. It's starting to flower and it looks great.

My mom is really interested in getting some to go with her more dark blue trads.

But I can't remember who brought it! If you're out there, and are interested in another trade, speak up!

Comments (8)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen the pink before. Interesting. Got white and some blue and you're welcome to them. sorry.

By the way, the stuff I got from you from the swap is doing great!

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

(I'm glad the stuff is doing well. Can't beat that winter sowing!)

Searching thru the Plants Database, the only pink flowered trad I found is T. ohiensis -- which seems appropriate.

Well, not the only one. There is also a purple leaf trad, T. pallida, which is a purple Wandering Jew. Amusingly enough, I picked up a few of those at the swap as well! (I never knew it was a trad; it's nice to finally find a more polite name for that plant!)

The search continues.....

• Rastagecko
    19 years ago

Alison,
    That was my sister, Rhoda. She is not a GW person. She lives in Hiliard and I invited her to the swap. I think that only other thing besides the spiderwort, that she brought to trade, was some catmint. She just bought a house a couple of years ago and is working on adding more perrenials. The spiderwort was there when she bought the house. It was in a very unkept flower bed with lots of coreopsis and weeds. Her spiderwort seems to be a wandering type, which might be the Ohio Spiderwort. I think I have the Virginia Spiderwort, it grows i a tight clump. One of my gardening books shows three species of Tradescantia, T. bracteata, T. ohiensis, and T. Virginiana, and all of them are blue or blue/violet. I don't know if the pink is just a different color form of one of those species or a completely seperate one. Rhoda's seems to pop up here and there in small clusters. I have no idea how long her's has been growing unattended, so I don't know how quickly it spreads. I got a couple of small starts from her last year and they have not spread yet.
    She probably has more that she could trade. I will have to see if she is interested. Are you in the Columbus area?

Alison, are you the one who had the curly ivy at the swap?
    James

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep, that was me with the table in the back.

Yippee! Ask your sister if she'd be interested in trading a clump or two more. Off the top of my head I can offer scented geraniums, some nice little pinks, chives, chocolate mint, apple mint, sweet woodruff, lilies of the valley, Palace Purple heuchera....

I'm right in downtown Columbus. But I have a shovel and some plastic bags in the trunk of the car.... My e-mail is aholm@iwaynet.net

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

(An amusing side note about the T. ohiensis: I'm a huge fan of the local NHL hockey team, the Blue Jackets. One of the common names for this plant is -- Bluejacket. Of course, another common name is "Snotweed" -- I'm trying not to read anything into that....)

• alanrocks
    19 years ago

I got Tradescantia ohiensis for the garden at work, it blooms a pinkish purple color, much more pink than purple. I got the plants from Shooting Star Nursery in Frankfort, KY.

• superfreak
    19 years ago

Oh I love these guys, and they grow like gangbusters! I started off with three small pots which I split in half last summer and they have already taken over half the bed I put them in. They are very easy to propagate, just take a cutting and stick it in the ground and the things root like mad! I'm sure I can spare a few shoots of my pink ones if you're still on the look out!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens

• Elvisgiles_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have also been looking for a pink one they are very hard to find, if anyone still has some I would love to buy some and I am also interested in the blue, purple and green too!

Sponsored