Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spirea damage - drought?

Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 08 at 14:22

This spring my spirea have a lot of dead branches - no leaves. It's true in several spots in my yard. Could this be the result of last summer's drought? Same with my japanese red maple too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spirea damage - drought?

I've got the same thing on a holly bush/tree, a crepe myrtle, and a butterfly bush. The latter 2 just have leaves in spots on the branches and I've never seen that before. The drought (and me not watering anything) is the only thing I can imagine it being.

Sue

o

My spirea look the same and I do believe it is from the drought last summer. Most of my other shrubs that survived also suffered damage. Two young Japanese red maples did not survive the drought, although the two older ones came through just fine.

Very few of my perennial flowers came back this year even though I watered faithfully. SOOOOO heartbreaking to look at the bare ground and think of all the work that went into it.

Lyn in Portsmouth

o

Could be. The spirea that blanket the front of our apartment building seem to be thriving, but that's probably just because I hate them and want them gone.... ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here