Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Drought 2007

bakemom_gw
15 years ago

A Garden Webber stopped by to pick up some plants and I was amazed to relate how much I lost during that horrible drought last year. I'm not saying all Columbus suffered like I did, but it seemed that the rain clouds just scuttled around my neighborhood while other areas were getting some relief.

I lost chokeberries, an arbovitae, a mugo pine, half my raspberry canes and many perennials. Half the fun is rebuilding of course, but I would rather not have to replace shrubs. I watered and watered and then gave up hoping that the plants would go into a holding pattern until the fall rain.

How did YOU fare?

Comments (7)

• amandasmith911
    15 years ago

i lost a lot of things. i wish i could have watered more but it was too expensive/ i need a rain barrell system. it breaks my heart over all the plants i lost. i believe i will be replacing them with things a little more drought tollarant. i do not want to go through a drought like that again and loose my investmants,

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I too lost many things...particularly those that were planted later in the season. This year I 'will' water, if I have to use my dish or hand washing water. I also plan to mulch things better than last season...but I always tend to have a lot better plans than what I ever actually get accomplished.

Many things I lost were things I received in trades. I'm hoping I can maybe trade again and get some of my lost plants back via more trades...sigh Of course they were neat things one cannot find to buy locally at any price.

Sue

• michigoose
    15 years ago

I lost a lot. Chiefly, and most sorrowfully, my Stewartia pseudocamilia...and believe it or not some buddleia. Some of the perennials I don't mind, but I also burned (significantly) some evergreens...they just couldn't handle the late drought and then going into winter, even though I tried watering.

If anyone knows where I can get a Stewartia...Earthscapes doesn't have any this year...or so they say.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

mich,

I just emailed you with possibilities where you can find the Stewartia pseudocamillia

Sue

• michigoose
    15 years ago

Sigh...Thanks for the suggestions, Sue, but most of them were sold out and the only ones which said that they had it (i.e. didn't list as being sold out) were in Oregon...

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I lost several things last year too, some I really hated losing. I had a large patch of tricyrtis Samaraui & some other tricyrtis that didn't make it, although I think I saw just a tiny sprout of the Sam a few days ago. Could be a weed. Lost a Japanese maple tree, a couple varieties of Shastas that I really liked. Several spring bulbs didn't show up, I'm hoping they are still there but didn't have enough energy to bloom this year. I have huge gaps in my flower beds, but apparently nothing there that I can't replace since I don't remember what they were.

• livingfossil
    15 years ago

I watered everyday during that summer, but I did lose a few things that did not come back in the Spring:
    Nandina, Viburnum, Aster, Rose, Poppy, Jacob's Ladder, and a few others things I am probably forgetting.

Sponsored