Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies and Phlox

Posted by SnapDragon82 Miami Valley (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 17:06

Hey all! So, I am a novice gardener, but I am bound and determined to grow peonies and phlox this year. I also have an assortment of African daisies, zinnias, and dahlias. The peonies and phlox are my biggest challenges, though. my grandmother has grown peonies as long as I can remember and I have always loved the big "powder puff" look of the blooms, and I have been told that the ONLY person in my family who has been successful at growing phlox is my great-grandmother! I got the candy striped variation because I just loved it. SOO-I'm a little more nervous about the peonies than the phlox. I have heard to just give the phlox a lot of room and they should do well, and that the peonies should be staked and sprayed? I planned on planting them next week, but are you REALLY supposed to wait until late summer? I have a huge plant with blooms on it!

sorry for sounding ignorant, I just really need some advice! I can manage impatiens and petunias, but I've never taken on bigger plants before. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies and Phlox

Can't help with the planting questions unfortunately because both my peonies and phlox came with my new house. I've been here 3 years now thought and can say without any question that they are 2 of the easiest things to maintain. I literally do nothing to my peonies. No fertilizer, no pruning, no staking. I like them best as cut flowers so I cut til my heart's content. Before the first frost I cut them back to about 6" tall. Otherwise they are neglected and they still produce fabulously.
My phlox are also pathetically easy. I have both creeping and upright. The upright are beautiful and just do their own thing. Have never fertilized them either. Once established these are both really easy. Don't stress. Just get them in the ground!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here