Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thlbppth

clematis? rabbit repellant?

thlbppth
18 years ago

Hi! I'm new here, and new to outdoor gardening. I planted three clematis plants at the base of a trellis (dug a big hole & mixed in compost, staked the plants up, etc.) but a week and a half later two of the three are dead. The plants were small, only in a 3" pot. They look like they died off or were broken off about an inch above the ground. I've been told that they should be planted late winter/early spring, which I did, and they should be relatively cool weather tolerant. Is there any chance of these guys growing back?

Comments (10)

• katbird
    18 years ago

I would have to agree with the rabbit theory (little thugs that they are!) Chicken wire will help till they get to the size that the rabbits get tired.. I just planted some artemisia and same thing happened.. munch munch..
    Or you could try sprinkling fox urine around the plants as a deterent.. as long as you don't have neighborhood dogs too near that will howl all night, ( mine have fox hounds ) been there done that! Was pretty noisy 3rd summer here every night for about a month till we had a real good rain lol..
    Good Luck

• thlbppth
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Where would I find fox urine to buy? I had a suggestion to use that for the chipmunks that are living under my front porch, but I was unable to find it. Last night at Lowes I bought a bottle of some critter ridder stuff that's basically rotten eggs, capsaisins, and garlic. I gravelled in the chipmunk hole, and sprayed this stuff around. It reeks, but the chipmunk hasn't dug it out yet. I'm a new homeowner, and I've yet to evict the resident rodents.

• fatso
    18 years ago

Rabbit damage is pretty easy to spot, as they tend to disgonally shear the stems. I've found that Liquid Fence works pretty well for critters, as long as you keep after it. It's available in many stores. I'd actually prefer to use a .22, but can't do that in the suburbs.

• VBKatLou
    18 years ago

I'm another who uses Liquid Fence. I was having a problem with something (I suspected rabbits) eating my rose bushes last year and it seemed to do the trick. The guy at the plant store said it works well on deer and most small critters, except squirrels.

• thlbppth
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woo hoo!

Looked at the plants last night, and one had a green shoot sticking up. You can bet I'll be hitting that with the stinky spray tonight. From your description, it had definitely been rabbits eating them (they looked like they were cut, and the plants were still attached to the trellis I tied them to). And the chipmunk's been evicted too!

Thanks!

• pkock
    18 years ago

What you need, to deter rabbits, is cat litter. If you don't have cats, find a friend who does - maybe your local humane shelter can help out? You don't scatter cat poo, 'cause that's not hygenic. You scatter the litter that's been peed on or near and smells like that kitty. It's just clay. Can be the clumping stuff or the old-fashioned kind, as long as it's used. Every time it rains hard you'll need to put out more - maybe not even every time! Maybe monthly, depending on how stubborn your bunnies are and how much it's rained. It works like a charm.

• katbird
    18 years ago

I am gonna try the cat litter this year.. preferable to chicken wire.., fox urine can be found at any sporting hunting department of stores.. kinda the same as liquid fence which I have used as well.. gets kinda expensive after awhile though so the litter is gonna be recycled.. nasty as that thought is!! YUCK!

• fourpaws2002
    18 years ago

Great advise pkock, I've been cursing those darn wabbits for the past 2 years and that's not working.They prune my shrubs every spring. My daughter has said our cat has toxic urine (i agree) just might be the only thing she's good for (the cat). Just hope the toxic urine won't be toxic to any of the plants(weeds are OK) Of course I know not to put it directly on the plant, but what about seepage?

• joyerman
    18 years ago

my question is what do you do about squirrels

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County