Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for heirloom tomato plants

Posted by jgoldschmidt Z6a Kentucky (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 04 at 18:30

anyone one know where i can get heirloom tomato plants -ready for planting - in greater cincinnnati - northern kentucky?

for the last five years i grew heirloom tomatoes from seed, but i couldn't get to it this year.

most importantly, i'm looking for pink brandywine (sudduth strain) which is a popular heirloom.

thanks,
jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for heirloom tomato plants

I was hoping you would get a response... have you tried posting in th tomato forum?

o

Scary as it sounds...I live in Cincinnati and got Mr Stripey and Brandywine tomatoes at Lowes! They had German Green and another heirloom variety as well.

I about fell over in shock...but I was thrilled. Hope this helps, I just got mine Saturday.

o

Rebbeccalizzie,
thanks!!
I checked out the Highland Heights, KY loews and didn't find any -- bu I also know different locations carry different things.

Which Lowe's did you go?

-Jim

o

• Posted by Marty_H 6A Cicada-nati (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 04 at 22:27

Jim, This is my first visit to this forum (is it new?) Anyway, I wish I'd seen your post earlier! The tomato forum has spawned a few local groups, and the Cincinnati one is probably the most active of all of them. Do a search on CHOPTAG on the tomato forum, and you'll find the threads. Anyway, we met to exchange seedlings in the spring, and will meet probably in August for a taste test; and in January to exchange seeds. Very nice group of people, too! I went with nothing to trade and came home with about 15 fantastic seedlings (including Suduth - sorry to make you feel bad!) They all say they need more people like me because they have so many extras that need a good home.

I went to Rahn's on Gray Road in Cincinnati and got several Black Prince plants, which is one of my favorites; don't know if they still have them. There are also some mail order places that sell seedlings; don't have a link for you, but you could try that new Google "frugal" search feature.

Good luck!

o

Have you tried DR Tomato seed Company in Ohio ? They carry the Sudduth strain of beefsteak.

Here is a link that might be useful: DR Tomato Seed Company

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here