Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

I can't go outside anymore....

storygardener
19 years ago

because if I just step outside to do anything - I end up puttering in the garden for hours. I do have a life beyond the garden (family, work, friends etc) - but, all I want to do is garden.

I know...I'll have to get an alarm of some kind that will remind me to go inside and carry on with the "real world". Hey...I want the garden to be my real world..oh well...fantasies are nice.

Disciplined amounts of garden time...bah...humbug.

...Beverly

Comments (8)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I've tried setting times as well and it just doesn't work. In fact, the intial chore I have on my daily list (I'm a compulsive list maker) might not get done while I weed, divide, snap pictures etc.

I'm thinking this is a seasonal thing and I remember vaguely that I seem to slow down a bit by July 1. Maybe I could post a sign or send out letters or something.

"pretty darn worthless until July 1."

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep...I am going to put on blinders when I go down to the mailbox!

Spring is so wonderfully busy in the garden.

..Beverly

• Shiza
    19 years ago

Ohhhhh.....Karen! ((TeHe)) Do away with all that "LIST" making and you'll have more time. Silly Girl.
    Shiza

• Photobug
    19 years ago

Beverly,

I thought you were going to say you can't go outside anymore because of the cicadas. We have millions!!! As soon as you go out they fly into you or land on you. They scream when you flick them off. The noise is almost unbearable!

I had my family over for a cookout (we have a screen porch) and they were freaked out. They haven't seen any in Marion. My nieces who are petrefied of bugs had to be carried to the car with a sheet on their heads!

I feel like I'm in a bad horror movie. I can't wait for them to pass.

Rhonda

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Well it's my turn to return a compliment and I now completely understand this post. I got a chance last night to visit Beverly's garden and Princess Mimi's gardens too. The last time I was out there it was cold, rainy, snowy, sleety - I could tell it was the start of something big, but still a bit early.

They have the most beautiful flowers - Beverly has a killer heliopsis bursting with blooms and a Lizzy phlox that is a knock out. All this with herbs, grasses, a beautiful shade garden, water interest, vegetables and fabulous perennials. I think my favorite was the most vigorous blue platycodon clump I have ever seen. About a foot tall and loaded with blooms. Also the burgundy and gold USC garden - it's such a lovely color combo.

Both gardens show their owners delight in garden art and it really works well together. I don't have that talent, so I sincerely admire it in others. Mimi has put in the beginnings of a brick edging that looks darn near professional and will be a nice clean edge to her colorful beds.

It really was a nice breath of fresh air to see beautifully marked beds full of healthy well cared-for plants. Good job you two and keep going!
    Karen

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Karen...thanks for those kind words - WOW! It was fun to have you over for a look-see of the gardens. It's nice to hear what "jumps out at others" in one's own garden.

Yes, now you know why I must wear blinders when I go out for the mail..lest I am pulled into an unplanned garden oddessy of the moment.

thanks...Beverly

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Thanks Karen! I must echo Beverly's sentiments on the subject. It's fun to hear what folks think of your gardens. We enjoyed yours too. In fact, I'm enjoying the many things you gave me daily. You may have noticed that I'm using your sedum between the ssstones in my new walk way. I can't wait until it fills in!

Bev, I think that if I dig in my old tack trunk I can find a pair of old horse blinders for you ;) !

Mimi

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Mimi- I saw that and forgot to mention it. It will look great in no time - I promise!

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions