Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

What is this vine?

Posted by rhondals_2006 6B (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 19:36

I would love to know what this vine is. it has came up for years by an old building in our town. I always liked it. It doesn't seem to be invasive since it's been there for YEARS and hasn't covered the lot. It vines up the old building. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I would be interested in it if I knew it wasn't poison of some sort. Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What is this vine?

Parthenocissus quinquefolia, aka Virginia Creeper. Many birds and animals will eat the berries. The berries are poisonous to humans, while the leaves are not.

RE: What is this vine?

Thank you so much for all your information.. :) !!!

RE: What is this vine?

It might not be invasive but it sure is hard to get rid of. I've been pulling it up for 6 years and it shows no signs of slowing. It spreads via rhizome, and unless you get the entire thing out in one go, any remaining root will become a new plant. Any part of the vine that touches the ground will form new roots there. Before you plant it, check out the old building where you admired it. It's possible that there is concrete or some kind of barrier that prevents the rhizomes from spreading.

For what it's worth, this plant also causes some skin irritation for me, like a mild poison ivy reaction. I'm not allergic to poison ivy, though. Go figure.

RE: What is this vine?

  • Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 21:52

I don't know why it hasn't spread. I had some on one corner of the back fence and it spread clear to the other corner ( a good 50 feet) and shot runners out from there.

RE: What is this vine?

We had some of this around our house. I pulled it out every year with impunity for 12 years, with my bare hands. No problems. The next year, I pulled it out as usual. And had the worst allergic reaction of my life. I've never even been allergic to poison ivy! After a few rounds of Roundup Poison Ivy killer (which only worked sporadically), I put rock salt on it. Worked like a charm. I haven't had anymore pop up since then (knock on wood).

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here