Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Reco on shrub for an unusual planting space

Posted by cliff98 z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 20:50

Ok, here's the situation. I need a reco on a shrub for an unusual planting space.

The spot is close to the house, and would be between the foundation/north side of the house and a row of azaleas. The planting bed sits between our front stoop and the garage, approximately 10 feet in width. I have about 4-5 feet between the foundation and the row of azaleas.

I'm trying to create some height as the azaleas are only about 2 feet tall, and the space between the top of the azaleas and the bottom of the windows above the azaleas is about 8 feet, so there is quite a bit of distance and this makes the azaleas look even smaller.

I was looking at perhaps building a trellis and planting either a climbing hydrangea or boston ivy, since i need width, but I am hesitant since I don't want it turning into just a wall of ivy or hydrangea.

This area is almost 100% full shade, but not deep shade as there are not trees or other obstructions blocking the sunlight, it is just on the north side of our house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here