Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Omigod -- I have water resistant SOIL!

alison
19 years ago

I have a bunch of things to put in containers, and had a few hours to spare, so I tried to plant things this afternoon.

I was scraping the bottom of the bucket of mix I made up this winter, so I went to buy more potting soil. Two garden centers were out of the cheap stuff I usually buy; all they had was the expensive; Miracle Grow, Fertilome, several other varieies. All of them listed sphagnum moss as the first ingredient.

I hate this stuff! I mixed in one part of Fertilome, two parts compost, and two parts perlite, and it still looked disturbingly tan. I half filled the baskets and containers, then tried to water them. The water quickly filled the other half of the pot. Then just sat there. For a freaking half an hour!

I checked the drainage holes; they were clear and numerous. When I came back an hour later, the water had drained thru -- sort of. When I stuck my hand in the pots, the soil was soggy -- and parts of it were bone dry! Not only had this stuff taken forever to drain -- it hadn't even soaked all the soil!

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what to do? I hate the sphag; it never gets all the way wet, and once it dries out I may as well pitch the pot; no amount of soaking seems to work. But I can't seem to get away from it!

(I wish I could remember the brand name of the last type of potting soil I got. It was half sphag, but equal parts compost and perlite made it quite nice.)

Comments (5)

Sponsored