Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alanrocks

New garden at the Falls of the Ohio State Park

alanrocks
19 years ago

I want to provide a progress report on a flower garden I have designed for wheelchair ramp that zig-zags down a hillside leading from the parking lot to the river bank and fossil beds at the park where I work. Last year I laid out the perimeter of the beds and constructed the two sets of 40-foot long 15" high drystacked limestone walls. With some additional help, I got a 15,000 pound boulder sculpted by ground water into a wonderful shape to serve as a focal point at one end!

The planting last year got waylaid by the Lewis and Clark bicentennial commemoration at our site. So now it is behind schedule. However, since we are always involved in many other projects, that is the way things go!

So far I have placed three pick-up truck loads of perennials along with some weeping crabapples and varigated red twig dogwoods. Having dug in close to 300 plants, I am almost 1/3 of the way through at this point. Eventually the garden will feature over 75 different perennials. It is strange buying 12 of this and 24 of that. The budget for my "homestead" is three of this & that, plus a couple flats of annuals!

I am using a mixture of native and non-native plants, my goal is to have plenty of different flowers in bloom throughout the growing season. From memory, this is what I've got planted so far (including some which I'll dig in tomorrow):

Amsonia hubrichtii (Threadleaf bluestar)

Aquilegia canadensis (Native eastern columbine)

Aquilegia sp. (a double pink from my yard)

Asters, Blue & Purple compact form

Campanula variety "Kent Belle"

Campanula carpatica

Campanula rotundifolia (Bluebells of Scotland)

Chrysogonum virginianum (Green & Gold)

Coreopsis "Limerock Ruby"

Delosperma cooperi (Ice Plant)

Dodecatheon meadia (Shooting Star)

Epimedium (Barrenwort)

Gaillardia "Goblin"

Geum triflorium (Prairie Smoke)

Heuchera (I don't remember the variety)

Hosta (blue leaf type)

Kniphofia alcazar & uvaria

Liatris spicata

Lobelia siphilitica (Great Blue Lobelia)

Monarda didyma (Bee Balm -both pink & maroon)

Oenothera missouriensis (Ozark Sundrops)

Phlox pilosa

Phlox subulata (lavender & white)

Platycodon (Balloon Flower, purple)

Salvia greggii "Cherry"

Salvia "Stratford Blue"

Sedum sieboldi

Talinium calcaricum (Fame Flower)

Tradescantia - Ohio & Virginia Spiderwort

Viola pedata (Birdfoot Violet)

(And I've got another 7 to 10 plant types in a holding bed...)

I still have another 4 nurseries to visit to get the overall design nearer to completion. Some plants (like New England Asters) have not been obtainable so far this year.

There aren't any pictures yet, because I've been too busy planting! (And yes, I have help!) Maybe I'll remember tomorrow...

Comments (3)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

Where is this park your working on?

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Alan...this sounds fabulous!! I love the concept and all you've done with it. Can you show us pictures?? I'd love to see it.

Yes, where is this park?

Thanks for telling us all about it.

I have wildflower asters that were given to me many years ago. They came origanally from New York. I was told they are probably New England wildflower asters. I really don't know if there's a big difference between wild "ditch" asters and New England Asters...anyway - you would be welcome to have some of mine for your garden, if you like. Just let me know.

...Beverly

• alanrocks
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The park is located along the Ohio River in Clarksville, Indiana -- across from Louisville. I'll include a link if you would like to see more about the park.

Here is a link that might be useful: Falls of the Ohio State Park

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert