Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smckellep

Louisville Swap: almost here!

smckellep
17 years ago

hi everyone,

i'm so excited about the upcoming plant swap at marcia's house; i was looking at the calendar today and realized it's almost here, which AMAZES me, because really, how in the heck can it be almost JUNE?!!

we've been spending every available minute in the garden, transforming our newly acquired, mostly neglected yard into our own little oasis. i've been fortunate to receive a lot of gift plants (and fish for our new pond!) from fellow gardeners, so even though this is the garden's first spring under our care, it already looks and feels loved and tended and somewhat established.

i'm so proud of all the work we've done and so touched by people's generosity that i hope to have pictures to show at the swap. which leads me to an idea: i think everyone who is coming to the swap should try to bring photos! i know i LOVE looking at other folks' gardens, and figure everyone else loves it too.

i'm looking forward to meeting everyone! see you all there!

susan in old louisville

Comments (10)

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

Hi Susan,
    your garden sounds wonderful! You should be very proud!

The photo idea is a good one- I hope we have a big crowd, with lots of plants 'flying around'-

I plan to bring lots of winter sown babies to share- I have tons, with no place to put them- It won't bother me a bit to give away lots more than I take back home :))

looking forward to the day,
    best wishes,
    Linda

• MarthaLouis
    17 years ago

I agree too!! Pictures are a wonderful way to share your garden with everyone. Other that winter sowing, looking at the pictues that I took the previous sping,summer and fall is what gets me to the next spring. Am I the only gardner obsessed with already planning my next years garden and flowers in the summer time. It is a never ending process with me. My husband thinks I nuts. I start talking about next spring before the end of July each year. Well I got to run and start putting my pictures together.
    Also...Looking forwar to meeting everyone.Oh...Yeah...Linda
    my money plant is blooming wonderfully this year! See you all soon....LOL Martha by the airport.

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

Martha, good to hear! I have 2 money plants blooming, and already making their little 'silver dollars'- too cute!

I plan, plan and wish, wish all the time too :))

hope this rainy/cool weather gets better soon! I may have to set up a 'transplant assembly line' in my kitchen!

see ya,
    Linda

• marciagaye
    17 years ago

Yes....we are getting close. I am headed to Chicago for my nephews high school graduation...then I can't wait to get home and start dividing, potting, etc. I have name tags ready for everyone to fill out. Dwight has his espresso machine and I am sure he will make some for anyone who wants some...bathroom will be clean, but can't promise about the rest of the houe....it is too much fun being outside, sipping a cup of coffee, hearing the fountain bubbling, the birds chirping and seeing the plants grow. Forget housework. If anyone has any larger pots and don't need them, please bring them. We will be getting our driveway taken out and redone this summer and I know I will have to move plants so the machinery doesn't run over them. So once we get a date on the driveway I will be potting up plants and moving them somewhere??? until this driveway mess is done.

• smckellep
    Original Author
    17 years ago

marcia,

i have some larger nursery pots to bring, if that's what you mean.

susan in old louisville

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

Hi Susan,
    I am glad to hear you are still planning to attend-
    I have been 'taking notes' of everyone's wants-
    I have some winter sown herbs I can bring you- they are still tiny because they are still in the strofoam cups I started them in :))

I also have some nicotiana sylvestris volunteers coming up-(at least I am pretty sure that's what they are) I can bring one or two of those (I think there are 3 babies out there) this is the one that looks like a 'real' tobacco plant- gets big leaves, tall with the white hanging down tubular flowers-how does that sound? I am taking up some Hosta "Royal Standard" for Vicci, and you can have some too-
    I have garden balsam which does wonderful in shade- they are mixed volunters so I don't know what colors (I have several) they are- they are small, but will grow fast now with the rain and hot weather behind it-

see you soon,
    Linda *by the airport*

• marciagaye
    17 years ago

Susan....that would be great. I have no idea how many plants I will be moving, until the driveway people tell me how much room they need to work. See everyone in a week.

• broodyjen
    17 years ago

Marcia,

I also have a bunch of large nursery pots I will bring.

Is there some food I could bring, too? Perhaps cookies or brownies or something like that? Just let me know--I'm new to gardening and don't have many plants to bring.

I also invited my "brown thumb" sister. Don't tell her I said that, though! I don't think she's much of a gardener, but she lives in L'ville and I rarely get to see her, so I figured I'd bring her along. Can't wait!

Jen

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

Hello all,
    everything is looking good - I am still taking up plants, and repotting winter sown babies to share-

oh yes Jen, bring your sister! we will have fun -
    I think we are going to have a nice crowd and good weather-

see you Saturday!
    Linda

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

It's here...Today's the day!

I couldn't sleep, knowing what all I have to do b4 leaving...digging a few things yet, and all.

See you all at 10ish.

Sue

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals