Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memyselfandi_gw

Ever had/been to a private plant sale? Suggestions?

MeMyselfAndI
18 years ago

I'm pretty sure we're moving at the end of the summer and it will be unreasonable to take many plants with me. So I thought I'd make the most of the situation by having a plant sale, like a garage sale. I could easily dig up most of the plants and still leave enough so the garden looks fine. A friend who is a landscaper is taking care of getting the pots for me, so that is covered, but I wondered if anyone had any tips for how to make this as successful (= profitable!) as possible?

I figured I'd put an ad in the paper... the dated sales part where the garage sales are. I will state that the plants are full-grown, all perennials, and they will be labeled with specific care instructions and common and latin names.

For the sale, I will dig up the plants at the last possible minute so they look great and I will group the plants by shade or sun ...charge $3-4 for a 1-gallon and $7-8 for a 2-gallon? I will have gardening books on a table so people can see the flowers of those not in bloom at the time. Sound good or bad? What would make you want to come? What would make you want to buy?

Comments (12)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

My personal opinion is that digging them up at the last possible moment won't have them looking great, but doing it ahead and letting them droop and acclimate will be better as well as giving you time to get more done.

I only would come if you advertised unusual plants.

I have sold them at tag sales, and I have a reputation now for selling, so people come when they see me out or when they see a garage (tag)sale here.

You could also offer to split off divisions when you run out and just wrap them in newspaper without having to go through the potting up business.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Winter sowers do it every year and have great advice. My kids have set up "lemonade stands" with things like Autumn Joy sedum and had fun, but some of those people do farmer's markets and fundraisers for schools etc.

I would suggest hop on over there.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Gee...leaving you plants. Sorry to hear it. Good idea about the ad with the garage sales.

I would pot them up in advance so that they look good for the sale.

If you want them to sell fast...keep prices fairly inexpensive. Many garage sale people and gardeners have a mentality of not wanting to pay alot. Now I am not saying to "give them away" - but go for quanitity! Folks are figuring you don't have "overhead".

Good luck. Are you moving far?

• bolecke
    18 years ago

Some things to consider:

How many plants are you trying to sell? Are they common or unique plants? If they are common I would cut your prices in half. No way I would pay that much for someone's divisions. Even potted up I wouldn't pay that much.

---Retail trade 1g approx $8.00-$9.50
    ---Wholesale trade 1g approx $3.50-$4.75

---Garage sale 1g approx $2.00-3.00 max, unless it's unique.
    I would even try and dicker down to $ .25 for the common stuff. Who knows though, if you get enough folks that are more of the "lookie pretty flowers" crowd then you might do very well with your original prices. But, if you have people that know plants and garage sales then they may not go for the higher prices.

As for the #2, is that just a true 1gal that you are thinking of? I would be tempted to try and sell trade #3's instead. Maybe try $5-$6 for those, mayb even $1 more. More soil and less plant, muhahahahaha.

Kroger bags...most plants will last a while that way given that you keep them watered. Potted up the plants would make a better presentation, but if you have hundreds then do you really want to spend the time? As for potting mix, are you just using garden dirt or a prepared mix? Also, when it's time to wheel and deal you won't feel too bad about letting them go cheap if you didn't spend as much time with prep per plant.

Bev is right about the quantity part.

• cecropia
    18 years ago

I tried selling plants at a garage sale last year but most people were clueless about my "cool and unusual" species! If you advertise in the paper you're more likely to attract plant lovers who don't mind paying a fair price for a nice plant,whether common or unusual.
    I agree they should be potted up ahead of time...like now,if possible.That way,they will have a chance to grow a little,though you may lose a few if it gets hot and dry and you forget to water them.
    I would price according to size of plant,size of pot,and,rareness.Don't start too high,but don't give them away,either.
    If I lived closer,I'd definitely come to the sale.Hey, maybe you could save a few plants for the fall swap.

• katielovesdogs
    18 years ago

You could also place divisions of tougher plants like daylilies & hostas in rubbermaid tubs with water in the bottom. I moved last summer and "potted" many perennials in rubbermaid tubs with water. Most lasted a couple of weeks like this before I planted them in my new garden.

• granny57
    18 years ago

At this time of the year when the retail stores are cutting prices to get rid of their plant inventory, Weather
    it be annuals, perennials,shrubs or bushes, the size of the pot won't make a difference to avid growers who know they may very well be able to buy the same plant elsewhere for the same price or cheaper, And have it commercially grown.
    Any one who goes to yard sales are always looking for a coin deal. Everyone I know takes along a bag of change and mostly single bills. Not expecting to pay big prices unless it's furniture or something amazing.I think if you have alot of plants to sell you would make more money for cheaper prices and would sell out faster.
    Maybe you could offer to dig the plants up for the people on the day of the sale.That way they will see how they look in the ground and they can worry about everything else,Like replanting them and getting them reestablished in their gardens. And if you do it that way it won't matter if the plants are a bit droopy. I do agree with the others, Waiting till the last minute to dig them up and pot them wouldn't help them in the drooping department.Doing it ahead of time would be much safer and look more appealing.
    What ever you decide to do, Good Luck in your adventure and prosper.

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

I think if you advertise it as a 'Private Garden Sale' with plants from 'Classic to Collector' then you would get a better price... but you still cant charge as much as established garden centers and nurseries do. If you can, think about also advertising a free self guided tour of your gardens ( or guided if you wish) If you bill it as an 'event' and not a common yard sale type thing then more advanced gardeners will be interested. I know someone who sells plants from her home by appt only... but she also has an annual open house plant day in her gardens in June. She makes a killing but she is also very well known in the city and people know she has been doing this for years and look forward to it every year. If you belong to a church ask your secretary to include a blurb in the bulletin about it. Notify the local garden clubs too. be sure to check with your town office to see if you need a permit or not.

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'

• granny57
    18 years ago

Well, MeMyselfandI, has anyone given you any suggestions or the answers you were looking for?
    We all got hooked on your Question. Did you come up with anything that will help you?Or did you figure out something different? I think we all would like to know what you've come up with. I know I am.

• hagey
    18 years ago

Our garden club has a sale each year in the spring and we do very well. Unusual plants are 7.00 and regular gallon pots sell for 5.00, which are a nice size. We find that if they are potted nice they sell better. I see now that someone did suggest you notify your local garden clubs. If there is something they want, they will pay the price. We pot up a month in advance and the plants are looking great. However, we also have the pots clean, as people do not want to put plants in their garden if the pot and plant is messy.
    Here in Michigan we need to have the plants inspected or you are fined. You might want to check that.
    Good luck. You might like to post your sale in advance with these Ohio people if that is possible on this forum. People are always looking for new places to buy plants. Check it out.

• MeMyselfAndI
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies! I really appreciate the input. Our plans are still unsettled, so I still don't know what will be done about the garden. It's very helpful to have broader ideas to consider than my own. Thinking...

• lovesgardening
    18 years ago

listen... my suggestion is different than all the rest... i think you sound a bit unsure about doing this in your own reply of thanks- so i'm asking, if you are not taking them, then why uproot (sorry for the pun) them at all? if you are looking for a little more income, maybe you could somehow figure the value of the garden into the selling/rental price of your place if this is the case- otherwise, i'd leave them be and hope the next tenants will look after them...

Sponsored