Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Park of Roses - Have You Been Recently?

bakemom_gw
19 years ago

I had an occasion to be stuck downtown at lunch and headed home, but took High Street. I had always wanted to check out Smith's deli (Italian) just north of Clintonville. It was past lunch, so I had a delightful chat with the people there, ordered a really great sub (4.99 and couldn't finish it)and took it to the Park of Roses.

When was the last time you were there? What a wonderful place to have a super lunch! I ate in the herb garden (why not?) and walked around smelling and reading. The perennial garden was OK, but the thing that made it cool is that it's a mature perennial garden, so the plantings were really full and nice. The bear's breeches made me swoon.

There was a corporate party there and soon a huge group of people came swarming through. At first I was slightly annoyed at the break in the tranquility, but 50 or so people were on a scavanger hunt for plants, dedications etc. and it was a riot - they were all very nice and the non-gardeners were totally bewildered.

I'm going back - soon. I'm not into roses myself (so she says as of this date) but I enjoy the park.

If you're out of town and coming in, seriously, lunch from Smiths and a site like that is a very very nice afternoon.

Comments (10)

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

I went recently for the Rose Festival and it was lovely. Many of the roses weren't in bloom (guess you can't control Mother Nature) but those that were blooming made for quite a show.

My fav was the herb garden, too. The chamomile, which I've never grown before, just begged to be petted. Now I'm going to be on the search for one.

I can see myself spending more days at the Park of Roses...

• Photobug
    19 years ago

I was also there for the Rose Festival. It was the first time in years I'd been there, but I plan to go back more often now.

Here's a link to a few of the shots I took there.

Rhonda

Here is a link that might be useful: Park of Roses pics

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

Verrrry nice! You are a photobug! :)
    Just curious--do you work professionally, or is photography just a hobby that you're really, really accomplished in?
    Gina

• Photobug
    19 years ago

Thanks Gina!!! You're very kind.

I'm just a hobbyist that has had tons of opportunity to tune my skills. I volunteer to take the football (4th year)and wrestling (3rd year) pics for Dublin Scioto high school, family weddings and I'm going to attempt my son's senior pictures before I spend hundreds having them done elsewhere.

Rhonda

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

Rhonda--I have no doubt that your son's pictures will turn out beautifully!

Do you do any Photoshop work with your pics or do you just have the gift of perfect f-stop and lighting sense? :)

(I'm an amateur [read: SERIOUS amateur] with the camera but a Photoshop wiz, so I sometimes have an opportunity to make a not-so-great picture much better than it was).

Do you have other pictures lurking about? I'd love to see them!

Gina

• damrn01
    19 years ago

check this out -- i wnat to feel welcome here. I am a native Buckeye got transplanted out here but having fun. Funny how life goes. Grew Up in Cleveland ,this is my 8 yr. old she does a fine job every year-please enjoy
    {{gwi:1001779}}debbie

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wheeee! All the lovely pics! Thanks everyone!
    Karen

• Photobug
    19 years ago

Gina,
    I'm glad you enjoy my pictures, I really have fun (and drive my dh and sons crazy). I'm sure your pictures are lovely. And if you're like me, you find it relaxing to get outside and enjoy nature and take a few pics to memoralize it.

Isn't Photoshop a great tool? I think that's one of the great advantages of digital, it gives everyone the chance to get great shots or become an artist. I do lighten or darken pictures a little if needed in Photoshop, but that's about it. However, with football I'm doing the program this year as well, so I get to play around with Photoshop. I also got volunteered to do a poster for wrestling so I'm sure I'll try some new tricks with that. The guys like the wild effects you can do with the filters.

I've only been digital for about 2 years now but I've been in to 35mm since I was 16 (can we say 30 years ago). You can see some of my football pictures on sciotofootball.com by clicking on "schedule" then go to 2003 and click on a game score then "photos". I think the webmaster has archived all but the last few games to get ready for this season. I burned 100 cds for the football players and coaches last year and 50 for wrestling. I know the kids love getting their pictures and I really enjoy taking them and getting to know the guys (those that I haven't been taking pictures of since middle school).

Here's the link to the rest of my webshot photos (I really need to invest in a paid site so I can post more) in case you didn't see them.

Damrn01,
    Glad to meet a fellow Buckeye! Isn't it funny how many Ohioans you meet wherever you go? I swear Myrtle Beach and Florida are 90% Ohio. Your roses are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Rhonda

Here is a link that might be useful: rhonda's webshots

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

That sure is a beautiful rose....what is she? She's awfully full and lush-looking!

It's always good to hear from a Buckeye. I was born in NW Ohio and have lived in NC and TX, then moved back here and couldn't be happier about it! GO BUCKS! :)

• damrn01
    19 years ago

Thank you so much for the welcome andd the compliments. I believe she is a seven sister. One sprig has 7 blooms.
    debbie
    Had to laugh at GO Bucks! cua' all I've heard for years is Go Hawks. (LOL)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths