Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wish2okc

Southwest Indiana Gardening

wish2okc
17 years ago

We will be moving into a new house in the Evansville area, toward the end of July. Can you all recommend any good books about gardening in this area? I assume this is zone 6. We think it is really pretty country here and I've seen some beautiful flower beds. Can't wait to get started. Will have pretty much a blank slate. There are some locust trees at the back of the lot but they look pretty sad. Are there any active gardening groups here? Thanks a bunch for any info!

Comments (7)

• mamma2max
    17 years ago

Wishfulthinking,
    Had to laugh when I saw your comment on the "sad" look of your locust trees. My lot has several of the Black Locusts and they ALL look sad! I think it might be their perpetual state ;-) Now that the power line people have come through and hacked everything to bits, they are even scragglier looking - that really bunches my undies! I'm in Louisville so I can't help you with any gardening group info, besides, I'm still looking for something like that here. Just wanted to wish you luck!
    Angela

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These trees have very few leaves and I assumed they are dying. Could I be wrong? The builder agreed to remove one really big one, but now I'm worried that maybe its just a bad year or something. Hate to get rid of anything that resembles a tree on my otherwise barren lot!

• standbyq13
    17 years ago

Hi! I'm in Evansville and we are zone 6a. I am a gardening newbie and haven't found any garden groups here yet, but I have found some a great little nursery! If you are coming to the west side check out Peckenpaugh's on Houge Road. Good luck!

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Standby. Can't resist a good nursery! I did see a display in the library by the Newburgh Garden Club but there was no contact info. Are you new to this area, or just to gardening? Do you have lots of space?

• mamma2max
    17 years ago

Wishfulthinking,
    Do you know if they are black locust or honeylocust? I can tell you a couple of things them. First, they grow very quickly so you will want to keep an eye on the seedlings that will pop up, and they do pop up everywhere! They will sucker as well and, if left unchecked, they will create thickets of clones all connected by one root system. Many actually consider them a pest tree because of their invasive quality. Their "clone islands" create competition for sun and bee pollination (they do get white flowers).
    They were originally introduced in this region for mining soil reclamation because they help fix nitrogen deficiencies, and those "clone islands" served as erosion control. And for their very hard wood that makes great fenceposts and lumber.
    I have several on my lot and while they aren't exactly pretty trees (very tall and skinny) they do provide shade and they are all so old that I couldn't really remove them all and replace them. So my strategy is to control the suckering and seedlings and plant taller, more wildflower type of beds around them to soften the look.
    As to the lack of leaves - can you get a closer look? You might have webworms, or leafminers. Try a google search and you'll find lots of info about the trees and their harmful pests.

Angela

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Don't know which kind of locusts they are. No sign of webworms. I think I'm just not gonna worry about it any longer. It seemed like the wisest decision at the time to have the tree removed and I probably just need to stop second guessing myself!

• dou47620
    17 years ago

Hi Wishfulthinking,
    We live in the country between Evansville and Mt. Vernon. No growing club around that I know. I do mostly veggies and am starting a new bed this year so limited to what I could plant. Around here most soils are either clay (mine)(near the river or sand further away). Have spent most of my time hauling horse manure (horse farm) and leaf mold (Posey County landfill) and making compost for next spring. My squash is doing well (no borer so far--keeping my fingers crossed), cucumbers and melons look good. Glad to see a few gardeners from the area.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus