Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broodyjen

To Marcia, The hostess with the Most-ess

broodyjen
16 years ago

Thank you for hosting the plant swap again this year!

Although the turn-out didn't seem to be as many as last year, I had a really great time, and got just the right amount of plants to take home. Some I've planted, and some I've potted up to take with us to the new home, whenever that may happen.

It was so nice to see all of you. My mother-in-law had a good time too, and sends her apologies for not bringing much to trade, and not being more "social." She caught a terrible sinus infection last week and has been incredibly tired and sick ever since. But she enjoyed it, and was amazed at how generous everyone was. (Even though I had told her that she would leave with much more than she brought).

I forgot to take pictures at the swap, but I will post some pictures of my new babies when I finish placing them.

Jen

Comments (24)

• wish2okc
    16 years ago

Ditto! Marcia, you are so gracious & kind to host our swap. And your back yard is so pretty & inviting! Thanks to everyone who gave me plants & seeds. The very best part to me was getting to meet you all. Just wish I hadn't gotten there so late and could have spent more time visiting.

Realized last night that I'd left my fold-up chair & my seeds! What a dork! If you'll hold on to them for me, I'll probably be back that way some time this summer and can run by & get them.

Sue, did you get your new internet hook-up? I bet y'all are all over at Linda's digging up plants!

• wulfgar87
    16 years ago

Agreed, thank you Marcia.

I've got those amaryllis' potted up and im looking forward to the blooms. I came back with one less plant than i left with so i almost succeeded in my goal of making space for the next batch of pups...baby steps i guess.

I hope you found i home for that runt that nobody wanted :)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Ditto! Marcia (who confided in me that she worries about being a good hostess and everyone having a good time) is so gracious and kind. She seems to be a natural in hosting a swap.

Although the group was smaller than last year, that did not stop me from coming home with some very nice plants and seeds....a much more manageable quantity than last year.

Jen, I thought it was great that you brought your MIL...she was a sweetie, and fit in well. It is great you and she are such good friends. Bring her again...You know how some of us are plant pushers...Marcia the best I think...lol

Marcia...I wished later I would have taken more Thalia bulbs...could have planted or shared them some way I'm sure, but also know you can/will find homes for them. I'm looking forward to the tomato plant giving me the first taste of home grown maters for the season.

Linda (by the airport)...I will think of you as I enjoy those maters...along with the other goodies.

Hey Jane! Share with Jen (and us again) just what happened to you that you arrived about 2 hours late...lol. That was so funny! I ended up sharing Little Henry with my neighbor as I told you I had planned to. She was thrilled, along with the toad lilies, and some Thalia from Marcia.
    Yes, they got my high speed completed last night about 10:30. DBF was here and we were both too tired to even play with it any at all. I had gotten up at 4AM in my excitement yesterday.

Nanc,
    I searched Oklahoma Redbud tree, and it sure is a beauty. The only problem is that the leaves of the one you grew are anything but heart shaped. Also, there are small tendrils on the branches, which leads me to believe it might be some sort of a vine. Might you remember where you got the seeds?
    I aim to put it on Name That Plant forum, once I get my new camera looked at and figured out....hopefully here soon. It's leaves are sure unique, and I look forward to finding out just what it might be. Since it is hardy here we know, chances are that I will enjoy it all the same.

There was talk yesterday of a late summer swap...also to be held at Marcia's. The thought was that members might make more prearranged trades...maybe even offering and trading some things that aren't 'normally' listed for trading.

No, didn't get to Linda's to dig...DBF was here and we went to Madison, and picked up several things at several places. I'm not getting any more plants until I have everything I already have here planted with TLC...I promise....really!

It was great seeing everyone, and I'm already looking forward to the next time! Everything I move this season yet, will be divided, and some of it potted up and sunk in the ground, ready to be shared next time. By that time, hopefully there may be a few newbies, needing everything.

Thanks again Marcia and all!

Sue

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

Oh, my gosh, I am so stupid. I thought the swap was this coming weekend. The 9th. Oh no. I was so looking forward to coming, too. Darn. And I need plants so badly. Now I am sad.

• sharonramick12345
    16 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't get to make it to the swap. I had 5 cousins in from out of town and all of them with their kids and I know I won't get to see them for another 10 years, so we all went out to eat and hang out and catch up. I really looked forward to coming to the swap, but my aunt decided it wasn't to be... she passed away Thursday and the funeral was Saturday. I did get to stop by Marcia's on Sunday and wow!!! her backyard garden is so wonderful. I love that huge willow tree! I forget what kind of willow she told me it was, but it was a beauty. My husband wants to go get one and plant it in our back yard. It had to be impressive for him to notice it... he's not so big on plants, etc. Thank you Marcia for having the swap. And thank you to everyone who left plants for me. I greatly appreciate it. I plan on being at the swap this fall and I've warned my family not to have any emergencies on days when my calendar is marked with something! :-) Thank you soooooo much for all my plants...... me and my yard much appreciate it!

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

If anyone has plants left over that they would like to pass along, I would be willing to pick them up, since my brain wasn't working and I missed you-guys. I am so upset that I want to cry. I was so looking forward to this.

• broodyjen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dreamspirit, where do you live? Louisville?

I think Jane left a moonflower baby at Marcia's for me. There's no way I have time to go to Louisville to get it, so if Marcia still has it, it's yours.

If by chance you're in Lexington, let me know, I can give you some plants.

Jen

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

I am in Louisville. If you are sure, I would love to have it. Thank you.

16 years ago

Dream,

If you will post a "Plants I am looking for:" on your trade list, so I can see it by clicking on your Trade List on your member page, I can maybe get some things together for you for the fall swap, or for sometime when I get down to Louisville b4 then.
    I get down there once in a while to visit a friend.

I will be moving or shovel pruning some things this summer, and if they any of them are of interest to you I will pot some up for you.

Sue

• nance
    16 years ago

Hi Marcia,
    Thank you for sharing your home for the plant swap. I already have your helleborus seeds in my fridge. I am looking froward to our next swap. My four kinds of butterfly weeds should be big enough for new homes.
    Linda, so glad you had Yvonne's salvia.Also Sue, you have busted my bubble when I found out you were correct about the "tree' or vine. I think tree lol Any way, I will get a nice shot of this "tree' and put it on the web to find out. I have no idea where I got the seeds.
    dreamspirit, I live in Valley Station. If you care for plants, come right over. I got plenty to share.
    Jen I planted the rubeckia today. I am making record who gave me what.
    Hoping to see one and all at the next plant swap.
    Thank you again. Your hellborus will be with me when I show up at your home Marcia.
    Nancy from Valley Station

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

Sue,
    Hi. Thing is, I don't know what I want. Is that crazy? I'll take anything, pretty much, because I have so little in the way of flowers and/or plants. I don't know enough about them to know if it is what I want. I am trying to learn. I am going to try really hard to make the fall swap.

~~ Marla Jo

16 years ago

Thing is, I don't know what I want. Is that crazy?

No, probably not...just that I cannot remember a time when I had no idea of anything that I particularly liked or wanted...lol.

I'm off to email you...about 'stuff' you might not know you want...lol

Sue

• flowerchildky
    16 years ago

Hey everyone! *waving*
    haven't been able to get on GW for a few days...

Yes, Marcia, we had a wonderful time at your home- really appreciate you having us there-

It was a smaller crowd, but we had fun! So nice to meet the new folks too :))

MarlaJo- I am in Louisville, and I have tons of volunteer plants to give away- send me an email, and I will tell you about them...

I don't have my iris planted out yet- can't figure where to put them- I have a place where I put that camelion plant (woe is me!) and I pulled them out by the handfuls, but I am afraid they would 'take back over' if I put my iris there. I guess I will finally figure out a spot or two..

thanks again Marcia (and all!)
    Linda by the airport

• marciagaye
    16 years ago

Hi everyone...sorry I haven't posted before this.

Wishfulthinking...send me your snail mail address and I will mail you your seeds. The chair you will have to get in person. I realized that you did not get any of the daylilies. I will have them ready for the fall swap.

Wulfgar87...thanks for the plant. Yes...I found the other one a home. The violet I gave you is a pink...if I remember correctly. I can start a purple for you if you would like.

Sharonramick12345...It is a willow oak...and they are great trees. We liked the one in the back so much that we also planted one on the side of the driveway. That tree was about 5 ft tall when we planted it...about 28 years ago. I do have some babies coming up...maybe I will dig a few and have them for the swap....I believe when they first start growing they grow pretty fast and don't mature enough for acorns until they are about 20 years old. I will have to recheck again.

Nance.. I am looking forward to getting a different color hellebores.

Sue...how is the fast internet????

Jen...tell your mother-in-law that everyone has not so good days and that I was glad she was able to come.

Linda....YES I see you waving.....LOL :)

I have taken a good look at how some of my things are leaning......the sun items and realized it is time to get rid of some, since the tree keeps growing. So I will have more sun plants in the fall. Anyone have anything unusual for the shade...or part shade?

Marcia

• flowerchildky
    16 years ago

Hi Marcia,
    I meant to ask you if you have hardy begonia? I don't remember seeing any at your house..

I have some- they are so pretty! They have pink blooms, and have to have shade. I lost a big tree a couple of years ago, and moved them under a peony (kind of) but, they aren't very happy. Would love to share them
    Just let me know- Maybe I can bring you some when I am on that 'end of town'

Linda

16 years ago

Sue...how is the fast internet????
    The jury is still out on it. I will have a better idea after about 30 days or so. So far I've been out twice, 4 hours each time, and got knocked off a couple of other times. Hopefully 'things' will improve.

Might you want/need a celendine (woods) poppy? I'm thinking I saw you had it already. I could maybe try and get you a native hydrangea...if'n you are interested. LMK...it would be from a wildflower 'dig' with my new wildflower loving friend Margie, at her place. She also has what I think is Lady in Red fern...I'm thinking you have it also...do you?

Hardy begonia
    Now that is a new wrinkle with me...never heard of them...but see they are sweet (via Googling). Are yours bulbs?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Begonia at Nature Hills

• flowerchildky
    16 years ago

hardy begonia

not bulbs- I got a start at the East Tennessee swap I went to 3 years ago- or was it 4 years? then, on a garden tour with Perinnials Plus club, the lady had millions in her shady areas, and let us dig up some-

they are kind of heart shaped leaves -light green with red veins- they are called hardy, I leave mine out and they always come back- the bloom looks kind of like a begonia -
    I will search around and see if I can find another name

Linda

• flowerchildky
    16 years ago

found them on google --- try "begonia grandis"

I did a search on GW and found reference too

they are pretty- described as sort of like 'angel wing'

Linda

• marciagaye
    16 years ago

Linda....I would love some of the begonias.

Sue...I did have the woodland poppy in my front garden, but it did not come back this year. I would like to try it again. In fact...anything you find in your wildflower digs would be appreciated.

O.K. let's try to hold the 4th Saturday in September open....that would be the 22nd. Does anyone have problems with this date already?

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone. Marcia, thank you so much for letting me come by and get the plants. I have planted them and am looking forward to seeing them grow.

Nancy and Linda, I e-mailed both of you. Let me know if you don't get it.

Sue, I didn't get your e-mail. :( Will you try again, please? Would love to know more about what you have.

Marcia, that date is good for me, as far as I know now.

16 years ago

Sept 22nd sounds perfect to me.

Linda...I'd be interested in a small start at the fall swap if you have a little one to spare.

Marcia, I will keep you in mind when I gather things on digs, and pot up stuff for you.

I'll email you (later)and keep a running email of things I already have or as I find them.

Right now High Speed is 'out' and I am on dial-up when the phone line is clear (which is not very often or for very long).

Sue

• nance
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    4th Saturday in September is fine for swap. I have no problem with when.I just got get pictures of these day lilies I am bringing.Also butterfly weeds nice seedlings [ 3 colors]
    dreamspirit.I did not get e mail.Please send again.
    NRB318@AOl.COM.
    Nancy from Valley Station

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

Just in case anyone has tried to e-mail me and couldn't, I just found out that my e-mail addy was blocked from being seen on the site. I have now changed that. So, please e-mail me if you had tried to but couldn't.

Thanks. :)

• kyplantjunkie
    16 years ago

Hi Ladies- I missed the spring swap. But 4th Sat in September workes for mee too. And......I have plenty of Hardy Begonias to share! They took a couple years to take off, but they're lovely. Does anyone have an interest in Petasites? Huge leaves, does well in wet shade. Warning though- they're agressive in wet shade, but don't venture out into sunnier areas. Does anyone have Jack-in-the-pulpit?
    Off topic- has anyone else lost established trees this summer? I've got a Cleveland pear- about 5 years old, that up and died in the course of a week- no insects, so I'm assuming it has to do with the stress of the late spring frost. Happy Belated 4th!
    Robin

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz