Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinkdirt

What is everyone doing since the swap in Columbus

thinkdirt
18 years ago

Hi everyone, thought I would post a message to see what everyone at the swap has been doing, I am sure we are all still busy planting and enjoying everything that is in bloom I know I am.

Thought it would be nice to chat about our great finds at the swap and see what other people got. Thought it would be nice to start a tread to keep in touch for awhile.

JoAnn

Comments (84)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I was walking by what I thought was just another patch of basic ruds or coreopsis and found RUDBECKIA IRISH EYES - a whole huge healthy patch blooming their little heads off. They were winter sown from last year and I thought maybe one lived and petered out.

Joke was on me and I have a lush grouping this year. I'll be posting a pic on winter sowing if I get a chance today.

• alison
    18 years ago

Getting ready to batten down the garden hatches for ComFest. The lawn is mowed, things ar deadheaded, and the yard is cleaned up. I'll put out the lawn sprinkler in the afternoon Saturday and Sunday; it's supposed to be around 90, so I think people will appreciate it -- and I know the grass could use it! And I've taken steps to idiot-protect the place.

I love ComFest, I really do, but every year people park the length of the alley, right where I've got my "alley garden". When they get out of their cars on the fence side, they walk all over the plants.

I found mulching the strip, and plopping in a few blooming marigolds the week before helps people realize it's a garden, not just a waste strip. I'm also putting up a sign that says "Please don't kill our flowers".

So if you see that sign -- please don't!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Hope your plants survive Comfest, Alison. I've been the past few years. Can get pretty lively!!

This heat is reeking havoc on my plants - as all as many other's plants too. Everyone...Please do your best rain dance!!! I've been out in the garden at 5:30 am to get things planted, watered etc.

Alison...your blind eyed susies and starting up the oblesk. I am anxious to see if they are black or white eyed this year..

..B

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

uuuhhhhhh...... at the risk of appearing dense lol
    what the heck is COMFEST?????

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• alison
    18 years ago

Sorry -- Columbus reference.

The Community Festival is a 3-day event in one of the city's nicest parks, near downtown. It's a more than 30-year tradition. Lots of food and vendors, with a vaguely hippie-flavour. The best part is six stages, with bands playing all three days, maybe 200 bands over the course of the festival.

The downside is it takes place in a neighborhood which is notorious for a shortage of parking to begin with. It's when of the weekends when everybody from the outerbelt in comes to town, so people tend to park in all sorts of crazy places.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

Today we had a small garden tour of sorts among friends with 4 gardens open. This heat is out of control! We're watering like mad and still I think we're losing the battle. We planted a new Kousa dogwood this spring. Normally I think the slope it's planted on would be nice drainage for it, but now it's a curse. I'm afraid all the water we put in is just running right out. We're using one of those soaker rings though and today I left it on for about4 hours.

And I must be completely sick in the head because I went to Lynd's Fruit Farm yesterday and bought 7 daylilies!! LOL I hope I can keep them alive long enough to get them planted. Don't think I'll be out planting at 5:30 a.m. though like Beverly--I am NOT a morning person! More likely I'll do it one evening later this week when hopefully the temperature will be below 80!
    Stay Cool!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Gardengirl - Mimi & I tried to find Lynd's on our way from Bakers Acres. We never found it...I guess it's a good thing, though. Enjoy those new daylilies.

Alison..did you survive Comfest. I found parking right across from the Live Arts Stage at 10:30 this am. (My storytelling guild did stories there) I feel lucky about that. I kept looking about to see if I saw a place with LOTS of flowers!!!

I fear I am losing the watering game...yet, just several miles away from me lot 1.5 inches. We haven't had any rain in nearly 4 weeks. Yikes!

Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Wow! Didn't you guys get the rain Saturday?

I worked at our booth at ComFest from 10 until 5 on Saturday and the heat just about wiped me out. I went home a took a nap in the air conditioning for a little bit, then got up to turn on the sprinkler on the front lawn. (In part of the grass, but mostly for the festival goers!)

When I got outside, there was a light rain falling, so I thought I'd wait until it stopped. (Nothing looks sillier than a sprinkler in the rain.) Well, it didn't stop. It turned into a full blown monsoon! Heavy, heavy rain, blowing winds, falling tree limbs, and the temperature dropping noticiably. My little sprinkler was definitely not needed.

I still had to water the hanging baskets this morning, but the lawn is looking a whole lot happier.

And we all survived ComFest. For the first time in the 11 years I've lived here no one parked on the alleyway. Hallelujah!

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

No we didn't get a drop of rain in Pickerington. My friends in Upper Arlington said they got rain though. :(

Beverly, Lynd's is at the intersection of 310 and Morse Road. There is a traffic light there. The house where they sell the daylilies is just east of the intersection. Sorry if I'm feeding your plant habit! Mitch Lynd said the daylilies should be at peak the weekend of July 9 and 10th.
    Kim

• alison
    18 years ago

Did a little work in the garden this morning before work. I'm to the point where I'm taking things out to put new things in -- shock! -- and it's that time of year when I'm moving things arund and playing with them.

Finally pulled out my Pink Fairy rose bush -- vicious little ankle-biter. Luckily, our office manager wants it, so I brought it into work this morning. In its place I put Bev's geranium and a large Lemon Rober scented geranium. I'd forgotten there were so many Stargazer lilies behind that. And this will give the acidanthera a little more room to stretch their roots.

I moved some of the immortelle that hasn't bloomed yet, and put in another Husker Red penstemon at the far end of the strip along the fence.

Who brought the red cannas to the swap? Any advice on diggin them up and keeping them over the winter? I'm really liking them; next year I want to plant around them better. I planted them in the big containers on the upstairs porch and they are doing great. They're almost 2' tall now. I didn't realize the foliage was reddish, too; it matches the brickwork and the painted railings! As the green stuff around it grows up it's going to set that off spectacularly.

It's gotten grey and rumbly downtown, sure hope it's a little more rain!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Well...I am almost done with getting things in the ground and mulching. Ususally, this is done by early June - not July. But, now winter sowing is in the picture. It's so much fun seeing plants from last years swap bloom for the first time.

Alison..I am taking out things to put in new, too. Although next year I am ripping out the holly bushes next to the garage (next to the walk to the front door). That will give me a "new pallet". I don't like those hollys.

Always something. I told my mom...no new gardens. Can hardly keep up with what I have. She started laughing & said "It will never happen". I suppose she's right. It's that darn real job that gets in the way of my gardening fun!

..Beverly

• thinkdirt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, the dance to the rain gods finally worked, I danced for three days and yesterday and last night it stormed and rained all night. My plants are happy campers and I have been out since 7:00 am this morning pulling weeds it's so easy when the ground is mud. I didn't enough mind when I surprised a black snake in one of my gardens and got bit by the critter, so what if I now have a sore arm I will keep on weeding for today as tomorrow the ground might be hard as a rock. LOL.

JoAnn

• storygardener
    18 years ago

JoAnn...you must have suprized that snake! - for him to bite ya. Hope that arm feels better. I was pulling weeds this morning too. Thank goodness for the rain.

Beverly

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

Jo Ann!

you got bit by a snake??? ggeeezzz id woulda freaked out lol and run to the hospital or something ... I hope your arm gets better real soon!

Alison: Comfest sounds like great fun. What kind of booth did you work in there? I always enjoy doing stuff like that. If we lived just up the street to a big event like that i just KNOW my DH would make some extra cash by charging folks to park on our lawn as they all do near our local county fairgrounds ...but I think I would worry about the lawn and all the 'compacted soil' etc

In my strawberry jar I have Stevia rebaudiana(sugar plant), Ocimum basilicum (Sweet basil), Origanum vulgare variegatum (variegated sweet marjoram), Origanum heracleoticum "Greek Strain" (Greek oregano), Thymus vulgaris 'Silver-edge'(Silver Edge Thyme)
    Thymus vulgaris (creeping Thyme), Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens'(purple sage), Mentha pulegium(pennyroyal), Rosmarinus officinalis prostratus (creeping rosemary)
    So far all are doing wonderfully and are very bushy.. I planted the basil in one of the lower cups as i know it will get tall. all the herbs look great so far. i know some will get too big but that what pinching is for right? ... now if i only knew how to cook with fresh herbs id be all set i figure this is a good chance to learn. i have always had a hesitancy to use fresh herbs as maybe id do it wrong and id get sick or something lol... but i think this is the year for me to get past that and check out what everyone else is talking about. i have grown herbs for years but they were strictly for ornamental purposes.

i took out a HUGE yucca clump that was 19 yrs old night before last... all by my self!! took me a while ..about 2 hrs working off and on resting in between but I didnt give up... god bless my transplanter spade!!! DH was promising to do it for me for about a year lol so i finally did it myself. it looks soooo much better with the Miscanthus sinensis Minuet grass in its place and some Cotoneaster dammeri Coral Beauties surrounding it.

Sue

• granny57
    18 years ago

Well, I just poked my head in for a few, And saw a few familiar names and just wanted to say Hi to all. Been too hot for me to use the computer.It's upstairs in a room where it isn't air conditioned and I personally can't deal with the heat.So I've been off line for a while.Sounds like everybody has been doing well and working their pretty little heads off in the gardens. I'm only on line now cause it's raining and the temps are in the 70's right now. How Wonderful it is!!!!.I sure hope your getting some rain Beverly!!! Sounds like you really need some bad.Anyone who gets up at the crack of dawn, Is definitely a Die Hard Gardener and Plant and Flower Lover!! Good for you.
    Sue ,I also had a Yucca taken out of my beds years ago, And guess what??? It keeps growing back. So enjoy it, You'll always have it. Nice to read everyone's posts as always.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone at the swap, This fall!!!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Alison- I brought the red Cannas. You just cut them back hard,dig them up and shake off as much dirt as you can. If you want to wash them you can. Let them dry very well. I put mine loosely stacked in a cardboard box in the basement. Dark, cool and dry is the ticket. You can save onion bags and hang them too. Next spring, after the frost date, plant shallowly and ENJOY!

What have I been up to? Hmmmm... I finished my salvaged granite patio. My BB penny bubbler is finished. I got a claw foot bathtub to make a planter with. I organzed the garage and hung up all of my garden tools. I painted the three scroll posts that I have for the satellite dish gazebo so they will be ready when I find their companions and can finish it. I've made more glass hose gaurd totems. I have dug and moved lots of stuff. I have a baby burning bush and some blue Iris potted for the fall swap. My ikebia is still not rooting! What's up with that? Oh yea. Did I mention my 5 boys? They are all well thank goodness.

Hope you are all well.

~~Mimi

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Here's the link to the long promised pics of the swap.

Enjoy!

~~Mimi

Here is a link that might be useful: Slide show

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Mimi and Lee....these photos are so awesome!!! It was such a fun day. You really caught the flavor of the day and the atmophere. Thanks for these wonderful snaps!!!

Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Neat pictures! You really captured it well!

Had folks up for the weekend, so I didn't do much in the garden -- just too darn hot and bright.

Ended up leaving the hose running on the front bed for several hours Saturday morning before the landlord's brother turned it off. Then forgot about the running soaker hose last night when I went to bed; he'd turned it off before I got up at 11. If I don't get a lecture about wasting water, I should get one!

Don't dare turn on the sprinkler for the lawn -- I can't wait for those Hurricane Dennis rains we're supposed to get later this week!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Alison...all my white Susies from the swap are blind. How about yours?

Let me explain this strange statement. Alison started some white thunbergia (sp.) and I got them at the swap this year and last years. These are the white version of black eyed susan vine. Last year part of the Susies had the dark center (eye) - part were white in the center. (thus blind) This year NO black eyes in the black eyed Susies.

Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Yay! Chalk another one up for the mutant properties of my garden! I wish I could re-create that Gaillardia pulchella hybrid I had going for a few years. This is why I have to share the freaky plants with others.

The the first year it's a fluke.
    The second year it's a mutant.
    The third year -- we're in the money with our new variety, Bev!

(But I think, for marketing purposes, we should probably come up with something better than "Blind Susies"....)

I've had only one bloom so far, and it was blind. But mine are still very small.

In general, I've noticed that the WS seedlings I give to other people far out perform the ones I keep for myself. I think I'm a better birth parent than nurturer!

• thinkdirt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Allison and Beverly,

That is interesting about the blind susies, I purchased seeds for the white ones this year from Parks Nursery and guess what they are blind susies also, I thought something was wrong but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Well now I know I have Blind Susies I think that is kinda cute to call them that.

JoAnn

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Well. Alison..there goes the new plant! JoAnn has Blind Susies too, from Park Seeds. For a moment - you had something new!!!

PS..it was Alison that came up with the great term- Blind Susies - clever!

• alison
    18 years ago

Oh well; fame and fortune deferred.

I've decided my lilies are toying with me. They've been on the edge of blooming for 10 days now. I want lilies!!!!

• granny57
    18 years ago

Mimi,Just got back on line and read everyone's posts and as much as I enjoyed all the pictures you posted (I know I will have alot of new wrinkles from all the smiles they put on my face!!LOL) My heart was filled with so much Glee and Happiness for you and your family after reading that all the boys were healthy.That made my day!!! I was thrilled!!
    I know how upset you have been over Isaac,And I know what a big sigh of relief you must feel.Let's hope it stays that way.
    I had a great time visiting with you and Beverly.Hope we can do it again.
    Looking forward to the fall swap.

• alison
    18 years ago

I've been working 12hour days for the last three weeks, and have either been out of town, or had people in the last two weekends, but tomorrow is --- THE BIG WEED OFFENSIVE!!!

Also doing some cutting, some yanking, some tying up (of plants) and the all important black-spot spraying. Might even get some grilling in...

I definitely need to do some (ahem) scooping. I came back to town late Sunday night to smell that the litter box definitely needed to be cleaned. When I woke up Monday morning the cat was already at the back door, batting at the keys and pawing the handle, fairly dancing in his eagerness to get out.

As soon as I opened the door he raced out, headed straight for the peony and did his business. Usually he seems pretty prudish about that, and insists on going inside to do his business! Hope no other cats pick up on the idea....

• alison
    18 years ago

Oh boy, that heat is insane!

I got some work done in the yard Saturday, but I worked all day Sunday. Since I didn't have to be in until noon, I thought I would work in the yard this morning. But I found I couldn't stay out for more than about 15-20 minutes, then I had to come back in the AC for a while.

This is the first year I've really run my AC, altho' the landlor installed central air 5 years ago. But after this summer -- I don't know how I'd live without it! (Plus I make myself go outside to smoke -- the heat's cutting back on that habit, too!)

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I agree, Alison...it's a sad day for a gardener when your sweating like a pig at 5:30 am because of the heat and humitity. I don't know how I ever lived without AC...that's for sure.

I left my home to do things this afternoon and it was 93 degrees and came back in an hour and it was 73 degrees. Love that rain... yippeeee! I know it's just a spit and a promise, but I'll take it.

I've been enjoying my newer daylilies...the first time bloomers for me this summer. Many are swap & passalong plants from friends. Some are so, so pretty. They knock me out.

It's been a busy summer...can hardly believe this is the last week of July.

I am a bit of a "phloxhead"...I love them. I found a really interesting one at Lowes called Phlox Fancy Feelings. YOu'll have to check it out. In fact..this hybridizer has some bazzaro plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlox Fancy Feelings

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

My purple with white eyes got creamed by powdery mildew. I HATE THAT!

I left my sprinkler on overnight from 9 to 4am when I woke up wondering what I forgot. Taking bets on what my water bill will be.

I'm summer sowing Green Wizard ruds from my one sole bloom. Wish me luck.

I'm going to get those HHs that I emailed a few of you about. They're not quite ready, but I am. They're catty-corner across the street from Katzingers.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Bakemom...Michigan Betty told about this recipe for waging war against powdery mildew on phlox. Mix 1 1/2 t. of baking soda & 1 or 2 drops of liquid dish soap into a quart of water and spray the foiliage weekly. I don't have any mildew on any of my 20+ phlox plants. It worked for me...I am sold on it.

That Green Wizard flower looks like a Martian plant to me! Have fun.

While you near Katzingers Deli getting the seeds...pick me up a bowl of matzo ball soup and some chopped liver to go! *giggle*

• granny57
    18 years ago

Bakemom,What's your secret on growing the Green Wizard Ruds?
    I have been trying for some time now ( 2 years) to get them going and have no luck. I even bought a plant and it was a good sized plant and babied it for a long time and it didn't come back.I think they are really cool looking plants and I really want it in my gardens, But for some reason It isn't happy any where I put them. LOL. Anything you can share with me to help me get them and keep them?
    Where do you have yours planted? Shade, Sun, Part of each? And I do wish you good luck. Fill me in if you can. Thanks,Granny

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Granny...I got that plant a while back, too. And...it didn't come back for me either. I'll be interested to hear what Bakemom says about this.

• alison
    18 years ago

Bev -- does that work for the powdery mildew on clematis? My Alionushka and Rouguchi have got it -- not bad, but not very pretty.

Finally got around this week to hauling out all the summer tourists -- not that summer is nearly over! I have a 5' tall calamondin and key lime that both have tiny fruit; a 3' tall, 3' wide calamondin that grew in a realtively dim window at work and had to be exposed slowly (since they don't make spray-on sunscreen for plants!) And the monster hibiscus tree -- which looks much tamer since my mother whacked it back this spring.

It's kind of fun to arrange them around the yard. We don't have any trees other than the Franken-maters, so it's like decorating my outdoor room.

Came home last night after 11, and water the pots on the front porch. got up this morning at 6 and water the pots on the back porch. While it was nice and cool, that meant the mosquitos had no problems finding me!

• granny57
    18 years ago

Storygardener,It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has that problem with the Green Wizard Plant. I really like it and get very aggravated when I keep losing a plant I really want.I also have the same problem with the Pearly Everlasting.My friend Juanita says it's a little black bug that eats it and she's right. I found it on the stem and killed it,But if you don't keep looking for it, It's gone in a split.It's beautiful one day and gone the next. And that's a fact!
    I hope Bakemom gets back on soon with some helpful info for the both of us.She's really got me curious and interested as well.

• granny57
    18 years ago

Hey Thinkdirt!! Just wanted to say HI!! What have you been doing since we ran out of GAS!!!???LOL!!! We have to do that again! I had a blast!!My friends always say "When you go anywhere with Margie, It's not just a trip>It's an Adventure" Good thing we (Me) have a good since of humor!!LOL.I'm looking forward to going to the Valley of the Daylilies this coming Sat. I'm driving!!! My gas hand works.LOL

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Alison...I don't know for sure what that baking soda brew would work on or not. It did help on my bee balm. Worth a try, I suppose.

Granny...you'll have to let us know what daylilies you get!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

"Valley of the Lilies"!?!? Granny fill me in!

~~Mimi

• granny57
    18 years ago

Mimi,Beverly,

There is a place close to where I live on RT123, It's called the Valley of the Daylilies.I'm not sure what the Hrs,are and it's family owned and run.The Daylilies are field grown and you can go in the field and pick and choose.
    The family members or the hired help will go with you when you've made your selection and dig them up for you. There is a $5.oo lot and there are lots with different prices.
    I have bought some Daylilies from there, But I mostly buy Hostas there. They also have perennials,Shrubs and trees.
    I bought a Witch Hazel Tree for $11.00 and it's a nice large tree.I also bought a Redbud Tree $5.00 and other plants I can't remember right off.
    If you would like to get on their mailing list,Email me your addresses and I will give it to them when I go there this weekend.I will get the days and times of operation for you as well. But If my memory serves me right(and Most times it doesn')LOL They are only open on weekends.I will find out for sure.Hope this has peaked your intrest and will bring you this way at some point and time.That would be Real Nice!!!

• thinkdirt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay Granny, you are in for it now you told everyone about me running out of gas AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Here's my story and I am sticking to it.

Never go anywhere with someone you really don't know ( I thought She knew where she was going LOL.) Made plans with Granny to go to a place called Jeff's on Rt. 68, ( she knew where it was) so we start out, WELL we found John's, Brads Nursery and 3 other nurseries in the process But no JEFF's hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. We left at 10:00 am. Okay we are lost don't have a clue where we are, all I know is my odometer is broken on my car, but HUBBY told me it was good for 300 miles ( surely that was plenty of gas LOL) Well we stopped for water and junk food
    (not gas) oh and directions of course. I said well I have 40 miles to go before we have to get gas. ( I had used 266 miles) We left the store and not more than 2 or 3 miles up the road who knows where I run out of gas and of course it is pouring down rain so we walked about 1/2 mile or so down to a house with a very nice man who came to the womans rescue.

Okay problem solved, at this point I knew if I found Rt 73 i could get us back home. Glory be route 73 yea we are home free. Guess what we found JEFF's on route 73 not rt. 68.

Round out this story, We had a blast found 5 nurseries in the process bought a truck load of plants got home around 6 pm that night.

Moral of the story if you go plant shopping with Granny get the name of the place and do a internet search for directions before you go.

Do not trust the phase " I think it is right around this bend LOL.

JoAnn

• granny57
    18 years ago

OOOOOOOO Think dirt You are sooooooo Rotten,LOL!!
    You know with a screen name like Granny57 I'm allowed to have a memory loss.TEE! HEE!!!Look forward to our next adventure!!! That will be next weekend going to the Valley of the Daylilies, Seeings how we couldn't make it as planned this weekend due to unforeseen circumstances.Which turns out to be a good thing in the end,I recieved a flier in the mail today,Valley of the Daylilies will be having a huge sale starting next week.I will post the information later.We will definitely have fun JoAnn.See you soon. I had a great time getting lost with you.I cracked up laughing the whole time we were trodding in the rain hoping to get some help.Boy were we lucky!!LOL.

• granny57
    18 years ago

Mimi,Beverly;And all interested parties;

Here is the info on the Valley of the Daylilies:
    Valley of the Daylilies
    1850 S. State Route 123(One Mile East Of 71)
    Lebanon,Ohio 45036
    Phone#(513)934-1273-Cell(513)739-3322
    Email;valleydan@earthlink.net
    There is also a website,But I'm not sure I can post that.
    The owner Dan, Says anyone wanting on his mailing list, All you have to do is email him your address and he will be happy to oblige.I thought this was a great way to get the info out to anyone who would like to visit this place. This flier that was sent to me has alot of sales on everything over the rest of the year, Ending Oct7th and 8th.Mimi, I know your a big fan of Irises and there will be a big sale this coming weekend Friday and Saturday August 26th and 27th.Hope you check it out. Let me know if you or others will be this way and maybe we can meet up or something.
    Hope to see some of you soon.

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

Thinkdirt!

when Granny and i were on our way home from visiting Beverly and Mimi's lovely gardens a couple months ago she saw some short little fluffy roadside grass that she had been admiring for a long time and i told her i had always thought it was a pretty looking one too. well shut my mouth!! before i knew it she had me out tromping along the busy highway with a big shovel in hand and some kroger bags lol as you know... granny cant get around too well sometimes so she relaxed in her airconditioned van while i was trying to dig some up for both of us before the cars blew me off the road or a cop came by! i saw some taller ones down farther in the gulley so we think the short ones by the road are that way because of road crews bush hogging the edges.
    well i managed to get us both a decent clump of it so it was time well spent... and we were laughing our butts off!!
    now if i can just figure out what in the heck that grass is i will be able to sleep at night! not knowing the botanical names of plants makes me NUTS!!!

never know what will happen on a roadtrip with Granny!!
    but at least we didnt run out of GAS!!! lmao

Sue

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Great story!!! At least neither of you got in the wrong car.

Plant road trips always have extra adventures and great stories. Thanks!!

Thanks, Margie, for the daylily info. Maybe next summer Mimi and I can take a road trip your way!!

Beverly

• granny57
    18 years ago

Yeah Sue,At least (I) didn't get in the wrong car!!!LOL!LOL!
    Thanks Beverly for pointing that one out!!! I had memory loss and totally forgotten that one.Good Job!!

Beverly and Mimi, I look forward to you coming this way next summer!!Too bad you can't make it this time around.
    I will be thinking about you while I'm there.And you can count on it that I will be able to find my way there,Seeings how it's only 10 mins,away from my house.LOL!
    Maybe if the prices are right,I will be able to pick up a plant or two for the both of you.
    I know there is a buy one get one free sale.I'm always looking for a good buy.And FREE sounds mighty inviting to me!!

• granny57
    18 years ago

BTW Sue, Thanks for the grass you dug up for us.LOL!!!

• thinkdirt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Granny and everyone.

As you read the last few posts, it is obivously a great time to go on road trips with Granny. You never know what is going to happen next. I will say if laughter is what you are looking for, then be sure to go out with Granny and I guarentee you will have a great time and find all kinds of plants.

Granny, you say the lily place is only 10 minutes from your house, well I don't know if I will go or not as 10 minutes could end us up in heaven only knows where. Just kidding looking forward to going with you.

Boy Sue, I am glad you warned me about the roadside dig-ups, I will be sure to leave my shovel home so she can't do that to me. But If I know Granny she probably has all kinds of gardening equipment stashed in her car. be my luck she would want me to dig up a 6ft tree or something.

JoAnn

• granny57
    18 years ago

Boy Oh Boy!!! Everyone is spilling their jaws on me! And Your right Thinkdirt,I have a tool pouch equipped with hand shovels and pruners and loppers and well you get the picture in my car.(Just in case Sue is with me!LOL)
    I remember for Valentines Day one year -While all my friends were getting Chocolates and Flowers- I got a Army Folding Shovel.(((Grins)))! I thought it was cute,And I loved it.

And Sue ,You shouldn't have warned JoAnn,Now she and everybody else is on to me,!!I really just love you guys to death and Cherish any and all road trips we experience together.What fond memories we are gathering in my old age!!!LMBO(BUTT)!!I'm looking forward to experiencing alot more road trips with you both in the near future.(As long as you two think you can handle it. (ME)LOL!LOL!OH And ----
    I never minded getting lost (As long as I had plenty of gas)
    I never minded running out of gas(As long as I could laugh about it)(And had a cell phone LOL!)(And JoAnn was with me)
    And I never minded asking my friends to dig up plants along the roadside,As long as my friends(SUE) don't mind.(BIG GRINS)!!!
    But darned if I didn't mind missing out on the Greatest Lowes Sale Fourpaws found and hit BIG!!! on!!LOL!LOL!!
    I'm Still licking my wounds on that one!!!

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

I am sorry that I missed going to the Valley of the Daylillies (near Lebanon) with Granny, Linda and Joanne last Saturday morning. I understand you all had a great time and i missed out! lol but I had some fun of my own as I was giving my daughter a baby shower for my first grandchild... a little girl named Kadence Marie
    due Sept 23rd. Marie is my middle name too lol
    but Granny took pity on me and took me back there later on that afternoon! thank goodness its not far from her home.
    I found some great buys and we had fun going thru all the plants together... and Granny even ended up buying more plants too lol

Sue
    'The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'

• granny57
    18 years ago

Had a great time with all of you even if it was at different times of the day on the same day,LOL!!
    I haven't been able to walk upright since.LOL!!Well I can today.But it was worth it.
    Anyone wanting to visit Valley of the Daylilies, Will defiantly have a good time.
    I came home with 26 Hostas.

I'll never get caught up!!!!

• granny57
    18 years ago

Just wanted to say it was very nice meeting you Four Paws
    (Linda). I'm so glad we finally met.Thinkdirt has spoken so highly of you and couldn't wait to introduce us.LOL!!
    I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Valley of the Daylilies,As much as I did.
    We all have to do it again some day soon.At the next weekend sale.LOL!
    We have to pick up our special Hosta plant.

(That Super Nice Dan) is holding back for us.
    Listen Folks,You not only get a nice variety of plants to choose from,But you get to meet the most wonderful people
    who will go out of their way to help you and do it with a sense of humor and a smile.I can't wait to go back empty handed knowing I won't leave that way.LOL

Sponsored