Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Columbus boxwood and Scotch broom looking for a home

Posted by Alison 5/OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 12:13

Well, they're finally starting construction on the Fort Hayes campus, and my little herb garden is staring at the bulldozers.

One of the teachers here has already "relieved" me of most of the plants. I'm hoping I can get the bulldozer guys to help me dig up the Bradford pear my parents gave me, and I'm waiting as long as possible to dig up the 15' New Dawn rose. (Not looking forward to that excavation -- and I still have to figure out where to put it!)

But there are still two big plants that could be nice specimen plants for someone. The first is a Scotch broom, 3-3 1/2' tall, and about that around. Soime varieites of broom are considered invaisive, but this one has never been a problem. Thrives in full sun and little water, and is covered with beautiful yellow pea-like flowers in early May. Looks like this.

The second is a really big boxwood of an unknown variety. Probably 3 1/2' tall and maybe 4' around. Super-hardy and green all winter. Very like this one.

If you're interested and can come down to dig them up by this weekend -- they're yours! Shoot me an email.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Columbus boxwood and Scotch broom looking for a home

where is fort haynes campus? i cant make it but my mom might b able to. gimme more info

o

Going once....

akheadbanger, did you get my email?

o

Going twice....

o

Third mention....

o

I think they may be fencing off this part of the construction site on Monday, so I posted these on Freecycle.

o

Alsion...I am so sorry to see that your herb garden is going to be bulldozed!! That stinks. I know how much you love herbs and fragrant plants. This is sad. Will you be able to save any to put in your tiny yard, I hope.

Beverly

o

Thnaks, Bev! It's one of the dangers of guerilla gardening, unfortunately. But it was a nice long run. And while I could have weeded more, I think a lot of people enjyed the garden in the last few years.

All of the herbs have found nice homes. (Some folks I didn't even know stopped by to say they'd enjoyed the garden and asked for specific plants.) I dug up the iris last weekend and the strawberry plants are being picked up Sunday. I've cut the New Dawn rose way back, and will dig it up this weekend. I wish I could think of some way to save the Bradford pear my folks gave me, but they brought it up from Cincinnati four years ago and it's simply too big to dig up.

One of the guys I work with brought in a little red wagon, and we've been going out during the day, whenever we have a few minutes, and salvaging the flagstones and bricks from the garden. We've still got the little space immediately in front of the office, and will be developing that over the summer. We've already got two dwarf peach trees, 3 different types of lilacs, Mimi's Stella D'Oros.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here