Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

What's blooming in your Ohio Valley June garden?

alison
17 years ago

I admit, this is not the best season in my tiny garden. I have a ton of spring bloomers, a few high summer bloomers, and some late fall things. But this is the time of year when I'm just happy everything is green!

My Red Rocks penstemon and crazy daisies are blooming, the alyssumn, helitrope and fuschia are doing well.

The Sweet William is just about gone, and frankly, doesn't look so nice. Some of it is sinking into the snow-in-summer, but I've had to cut back a lot of it hard. (There were a few fabulous, intense burgundy reds that I'm letting go to seed.)

Gaillardia goblin and burgundy are blooming in the alleyway, and seemed to survive the cars from ComFest, altho' the painted daisies didn't do so well. The wallflowers are finally done, and I'm letting the seeds ripen. Marigolds are still going strong, and the little ladybug cosmos are swaying in the breeze.

I didn't get ahead of the black spot on my big Othello rose, so it's already losing it's leaves. But the roses themselves (as usual!) look too good and smell too fantastic to cut the thing down.

{{gwi:1072755}}

One of the odd things that is blooming is the red hens-and-chicks I bought in May. I'd never seen this happen before, so it's kinda cool to have it happen on the first sempervivum I've grown.

{{gwi:1072756}}

As the days are getting warmer, I'm loving my "shade" garden, looking uncommonly 'shady' here -- isn't this just crying out for a little bistro table and chair?

{{gwi:1072758}}{{gwi:1072759}}

So -- what's blooming for you?

Comments (3)

Sponsored