Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

What new dainties have you BOUGHT this year?

bakemom_gw
18 years ago

After all the swapping and growing from seed, I broke down and made my annual pilgrimmage to Baker's Acres. I got a beautiful new Sea Holly, Dianthus Sarah, Gomphrena Strawberry Fields (my winter sown ones croaked), another nice Baptisia Australis and of course, Coleus fireworks.

Can't leave that place without a new and crazy coleus.

I was disappointed, but not suprised that Ech. Orange Beadowbrite and Fragrant Angel were gone. I was also disappointed that they were selling purple loosestrife, although it was Morden's Pink.

What have YOU bought?

Comments (13)

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I have bought some things too this spring...

hardy geranium Hocus Pocus
    hardy geranium Jolly bee
    tiny hardy geranium for my rock garden
    minature pink baby's breath for my rock garden
    phlox Patricia Fay
    phlox Shortwood
    phlox Goldmine
    clematis The President
    clematis Etoile Violet
    clematis Miss Bateman
    Scabiosa Pink Mist
    4/$1.00 Goblin Gaillardia's - bunches for the USC garden
    Dianthus Heart Attack

I am running out of places to plant things, though.

B

• alison
    18 years ago

If I can ever find the place to put it, I'm wicked-excited about my new Autumn lilac --Heptacodium miconiodes -- that I bought on the internet.

From the same place I bought a few Nodding Ladies Tresses -- native orchids. They're in the ground and seem happy in the one spot of shade I have -- can't wait to see them blom!

My neighbor teases me that I seem to be constitutionally incapable of going anywhere near a graden center without getting at least one plant, but these two, and my new fig, are the ones I'm the most excited about.

• alison
    18 years ago

Bev -- I've had to start subtracting plants!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Alison...I totally understand about the garden center stuff and making room. I have to admitt that 2 (yes 2!!) butterfly bushes didn't make it over the winter. I will replace one with a seedling of a butterfly bush I've been watching - it's now a big plant, actually. And the other..well -it's lots of room for NEW and DIFFERENT plants. I wasn't sad for long.

As for the garden centers...it's how I give directions around town. They are my landmarks.

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

Bev...

that reminds me that one of my friends says im the only one she knows that gives directions by garden plantings lol
    turn left by the huge hillside planted full of junipers and then 3 blocks down turn right by the canadian hemlock. follow till you get to the stone wall with knockout roses in front of it and then 3 driveways down stop at the petunia bed

sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

Hi Karen!
    Since my garden is only 4 years old this year, there's still plenty of planting room. I won't list everything because it would take too long but I've bought

geranium 'rozanne' (can't get enough)
    geranium 'Catherine Adele'
    geranium 'Midnight Reiter'
    Heuchera 'Obsidian'
    Heuchera 'Rose Majesty'
    Heuchera 'Velvet Night'
    clematis Alba Luxurians, Polish Spirit, Little Nell, blue belle, Perrin's Pride, Abundance, Betty Corning, and Rooguchi
    Snowball viburnum
    Magnolia 'Butterflies'
    Sambucus "Sutherland Gold"
    Kousa Dogwood
    Tanacetum niveum
    Veronica allionii
    Penstemon pinifolius 'Nearly Red'
    Agastache 'Desert Sunrise'
    Daylilies 'Barbara Mitchell'', Smuggler's Gold, Milk Chocolate, Moonlit Masquerade

And believe it or not, (almost) everything's planted! :)
    Kim

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

not sure what was meant by "dainties", but by the looks of the replies - about anything. I'm more into the "shrubby" stuff, but I do have a few perennials on my list

From Dawes Arboretum -
    Pinus cembra 'Chalet'

From Yew Dell Gardens -
    Crataegus monogyna 'Inermis Compacta'
    Acer triflorum
    Hydrangea quercifolia 'Little Honey'

From Cox Arboretum -
    Buddleia x weyeriana 'Bicolor'
    Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lamb'
    Hydrangea paniculata 'Quick Fire'
    Hibiscus syriacus Lavender Chiffon
    Cotinus 'Young Lady'
    Deutzia gracilis Chardonnay Pearls
    Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns'
    Rhamnus frangula Fine Line
    Weigela 'Pink Poppet'
    Viburnum farreri Nanum
    Clematis 'Huldine'

From Boone County(KY) Arboretum -
    Taxus cuspidata `Minute Westons'

From Oakland Nursery -
    Viburnum plicatum 'Summer Snowflake'
    Physocarpus opulifolious Summer Wine

From Fairweather Gardens -
    Clematis Kiri Te Kanawa
    viburnum nudum
    Viburnum setigerum

From the Cincinnati Civic Garden Club Sale -
    numerous perennials and a fuschia with very colorful foliage

From Greenfield Plant Farm -
    Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana Aurea'
    Pinus leucodermis 'Compact Gem'

From Baker's Acres -
    various coleus and tender perennials like Duranta 'Gold Edge'

And from Lowe's -
    Achillea ptarmica 'Stephanie Cohen'
    Leucanthemum superbum 'Becky'

I sure hope my wife doesn't put a $ value on this list LOL

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

If our spouses had any idea how much we really spent on plants, there might be trouble! ;)

• kqcrna
    18 years ago

My husband and I were at a local garden center last week and one of the women who works there pointed at me and said to my husband "She's here every day!"

• alison
    18 years ago

No fair, outing you like that!

My neighbor just laughs everytime she sees me getting out of the car with a little bag of one or two plants....

• Rastagecko
    18 years ago

I really don't buy very many plants, getting most of them from friends and swaps. But I love finding things on sale at the end of the season and will occassionally buy some unusual plants that I am not likely to find at the swaps. This past week I bought a cute green and white hosta called Pandora's Box, one of the miniature hostas that only gets 3 or 4 inches tall. I also bought a steppable ground cover called Brass Buttons. Michelle bought a new lamium that we hadn't seen before and she got me a couple of ferns for Father's Day, a Ghost Fern and a Lady in Red Fern. But those are the only plants we have purchased this year.
    James

• storygardener
    18 years ago

James...I got a small division of Hosta Pandora's Box from Michigan Betty (Hagey) several years ago. I just love this plant. It's three years old now and still isn't bigger than a donut. But, it's so unique. Enjoy! I always put organic slug bait near it (Escar-go or Sluggo) because the slugs in my garden could eat it in one evenings meal! I want to protect it.

Nice plants.

Beverly

• clickermel
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh -- what have I bought? (And yes, the S.O. is very cross that I've spent more than I should, LOL!) Just started a huge (approximately 100x8) foot bed plus some others this year, and luckily many friends thinned out their beds and gave me the extras. But I spent money on:

(Forgive me, don't have all the tags handy, so some names are general) . . .

Butterfly bush
    Jacob Cline Monarda
    Butterfly Weed (asclepias tuberosa)
    Red phlox
    Salvia
    Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Dark Knight' (Bluebeard)
    Lisianthus (annual)
    Portulaca oleracea Duet Rose (annual)
    Wiegelia (sp?) Wine & Roses
    Various daylilies and oriental lilies
    Purple ice plants
    Dahlias
    Gladiolas
    Tulips and hyacinths
    Miniature hedge rose (small plant, normal size blooms)
    Calla lily
    Petunias
    Campanula
    Elfin thyme
    Mother of thyme
    Pineapple sage
    Penstemmon "Husker's Red"
    Asters
    Pachysandra
    Pansies
    Purple coneflower
    Wisteria
    Trumpet vine

And 10 heirloom tomato plants.

I know there's more that I just don't remember ;-). That doesn't include the seeds I've planted!

:-) Mel

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES