Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosedog_gw

Asian Tiger Mosquitos

moosedog
19 years ago

Any one else battling these blood suckers? They are eating me alive. They are quite aggressive. They are not at all picky about the time of day. They will feed on you any old time of the day. I've doen the obvious.... eliminated standing water in my yard but they are winning. Any suggestions?

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/asian_tiger_mosquito.htm

Comments (5)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

OK, now I have an itch. I had a large striped one hanging out in my shower the other morning. Didn't bother to get his name, just smooshed him silly.

Wonder if it's the same thing. yuck.

• jimbo45247
    19 years ago

Hey moosedog...I too reside in White Oak. Hi neighbor! So far the only person affected by the Tiger's has been my daughter. She plays outside for a good portion of the day. She dare not venture out without bug spray..Deep Woods Off...any more. I have yardwork to do tonite, so I'll be protecting myself as well. There is a small creek that runs past the front of my home. I read somewhere that mosquitos only breed in still pools of water. As long as we get periodic rains I am not too concerned about heavy infestation. I've been keeping the birdbath clean. Dunks will work in standing pools...ever heard of them?

• moosedog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've thought about sneeking over to my neighbors yard and putting the granular form in everything that might hold water. :)

• damrn01
    19 years ago

Hello there
    Let me introduce myself. I live in Iowa but am a former Cleveland girl. Been learking in here for a while. A bit of advice just two weeks ago I was bit like crazy those big sqitters and jiggers too. Bought a can of deep woods off not paying attention that it contained DEET; after two weeks of weeding and planting I was sick all day could not eat had to purge all the time, Dr's finally decided I had DEET poising so gardners beware and watch your kids. Nurse assoc. of mine told me absorbing jr. worked great and let's not forget the old fashion Gramma recipe (vanilla) Watkins i understand is the best. Where are you from? I grew up on 63rd & St.Clair, Wow I miss the stadium, but they do not do so well these days and the Brown's are finally back where the belong
    debbie

• geeky_gardener
    19 years ago

Now, I don't do this but..... I have been told by many people who swear by it.... Vitiam B everyday and they never get bitten. The pill is just vitiam B, I don't think it works if it's a multi vitiam. Might be worth a try.

I like to burn sandelwood sticks if I'm just sitting outside, they work great for me. You can buy them at Wild Birds Unlimited in Forest Park. They smell great too!

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA