Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Louisville Swap-Thank you Marcia

Marciagaye was the hostess for the Louisville swap today.

Whew!

I think it was a 'huge' success and a good time was had by all. I know I certainly enjoyed it.

I'm not finished inventorying and unloading everything, but already know I will have questions...like 'What is this?' later in the season.

I received peonies, so many different tomatoes, iris, annuals, vines, and perennials to enjoy for years to come.

Thanks to everyone I rec things from, and thank too to all those that helped me get (most of) my plants gone.

Now I'm off to find special places for all the wonderful special things I received.

Thanks to everyone for making to swap a really fun time with some new gardening friends. I look forward to the next one already.

Sue

Comments (21)

• marciagaye
    17 years ago

I enjoyed hosting it and will do so again in the fall. I was a little nervous about this...especially after I saw all the plants...including the WS we had hundreds of plants! But everything worked out great. I am already looking forward to the next one. I called my daughter, Molly and her husband said she was out planting everything...he helped her for a while. I expect I will get a phone call..."Mom...I go so many...it was hard work planting them." Someone meant to load 3 plants and I found them next to the driveway....they are: Helenium, "Autumn Lollipop" ; Swamp Milkweed and Raspberry Wine Monarda. Whoever left them by mistake...what do you want me to do? I can baby them till the fall or whatever...just let me know.

• indianaplantlover
    17 years ago

Marcia, Thank you so much for such a great time. I received so many great things to add to my yard. I normally don't socialize much and my family keeps to ourselves for the most part. It was so nice to meet such wonderful people. So many plants I have never seen or heard of before. Thanks again to Marcia for opening her home to us and thanks to all who so graciously shared their plants with me. As I look at my yard and read the tags I will think of the kindness of those who shared with me. Much love, Vicci

• MarthaLouis
    17 years ago

Marcia, Thank you from the bottom of my heart and my plants old and new thank you also. I have looked forward to this swap fro so long now and it has finally come and gone. I only have one question.....WHEN CAN WE DO IT AGAIN???? A gift of a plant is so special to me. It is something that is a part of another persons soul. They nurture it, baby it, worry about it, and then so freely give it away. What a wonderful thing. All of my plants that found new homes today I wish to thank you all. I love to grow things and I put my heart and sould into them. It is almost like raising children. You do the best you can for them, but there comes a time when you have to turn them loose. I also love to give things to others. So in taking one of my plants you allow me to feel wonderful. Agian Marcia your yard is so wonderful, thankyou for sharing it with us. Let me know if there is ever anything that I can do for you.
    Sincerely, Martha(louis)

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

yes, I had a wonderful time too! Thanks so much Marcia-
    I got some great plants -it always amazes me that 15-16 folks can bring plants, and almost everything is different! It's pure joy to see the talking, laughing, sharing and ideas flowing around the garden under a beautiful sunny, blue sky :))

It was raining here when I woke up - rain on Friday too-
    did we pick a good day, or what? *tee hee*

have fun planting out everyone!
    Linda by the airport

• Lisa Hayes
    17 years ago

Many thanks Marcia! I had a great time. I was so impressed by all the WS plants. I have been inspired. I really enjoyed seeing the faces of all my new garden friends. I told myself on the way home I would plant tomorrow, but what do you know. I came home and decided I would plant a few and ended up planting almost everything, give a few Iris here and there. I am addicted and what a wonderful addiction. Marcia, I believe those are my missing plants. My DH was supposed to get them and put them in my box. I have to blame it on someone and who better LOL! I can come and pick them up sometime next week. If you could leave them out on your driveway, I can just drop by one morning and pick them up. Thanks so much for saving them. I was upset yesterday when I couldn't find them, especially the raspberry bee balm. Again, thanks so much for the hosting.
    Lisa

• marciagaye
    17 years ago

Lisa....no problem. I will save them for you. I am going to put them on the patio table. That way I can keep an eye on them and make sure they get watered, etc. Just come get them at your convenience.

• nance
    17 years ago

The weather was 'prefect' The plants were everywhere. and most of all, crowd was super! What more can you ask?
    I want to thank everyone for all the nice plants to go into Farnsley Moremon Landing. They were so much needed.
    Marcia, If I can be of any help by bringing anything for the Fall swap, just send me a note. You are a delightful host!
    Nancy from Valley Station
    The person who wanted hellebores seeds,please send me an E mail. I must got your address wrong.

• joyerman
    17 years ago

What a wonderful time. Thank you Marcia and all of you who exchanged plants with me. I sure enjoyed it, and the new plants are all in their new homes.

A plant swap in the fall is a great idea.

thanks to all again

• Elaine428
    17 years ago

Marcia, Thanks so much for doing the swap.It was so nice to meet all the people and to recieve all those nice plants.
    I am looking forward to the next one and making plans to have plants ready.
    You have a beautiful yard.
    Elaine428

• broodyjen
    17 years ago

Marcia, thanks for being such a great hostess. I REALLY had a great time putting faces to names, and expanding the variety in my oh-so-young garden. All of you were SO generous (and so enabling...shame on you)! I spent most of the evening Saturday, and Sunday after I got off work, planting. I had to expand one bed, and created 3 new iris beds as well.

My neighbor came over and wanted to know where in the world I had gotten all those plants. So of course, I shared with her, since she had been sharing her stuff with me.

DH asked, "So exactly how much money did you spend on these plants?" I gleefully replied "NOT A PENNY!!!"

I had such a great time. I am looking forward to the fall swap. I really hope I'll be able to make it.

Thanks again!

Jen

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jen, I thought you were being a little reserved about things...introducing yourself (after what you told me) and feared you weren't getting very many goodies. Then I saw the 'heap' of plants out by your car. Zowie!

I wonder, just what was DH's response when you gleefully replied " NOT A PENNY"? Did he have any doubts?

I had planned to stop at a few garden centers on the way home, but there was 'no way'. I was exhausted from all the anticipation and excitement of meeting everyone, elated with all my new goodies, had like 'no' spare room in the Jeep, and knew I couldn't find anything to buy that I would like any better than what all I had already received from the generous folks at the swap.

I had to come home and take a nap...lol

Yesterday was a major planting day, and today I will inventory the many things remaining, and do some more. The bad part was I already had so many new things from last fall and this spring waiting to be planted. In time all the babes will get planted 'somewhere' with tlc. even if they are a bit crowded and moved later.

Did you bring the Verbascum (white) in the round pot?

Who brought the Frosty Morn?

Who brought the regular (someone said it was)sedum?

Who brought the columbine in the styrofoam cup?

Asclepias Curassivica?
    Pink Butterfly weed?
    Hyacinth bean vines?
    Sungold tomatoes?
    Datura-triple yellow?
    Datura metal?
    Variegated Loosestrife?
    Love lies bleeding?
    I'd like to put member names on the tags if possible. In all the excitement I wasn't able to keep track.

Sue

• marciagaye
    17 years ago

Sue...the hyacinth bean vines and Frosty Morn were out of my garden. I am looking forward to the next swap already...this time I will be more relaxed...I was concerned about chairs, tables, food etc....but everything worked out fine. I will move both cars out of the driveway, so we have more room to spread the plants out. I also plan on collecting seeds for those who winter sow and when I move the plants for the driveway being redone...then I will go ahead and divide for the fall. Thanks everone for the fun and thanks again for the extra pots....they will be used when I move the plants for the driveway guys.

• broodyjen
    17 years ago

Sue--if the verbascum was in an orangy plastic pot, with a couple other plants crossed out, and Verbascum written really sloppy with a grease pencil, then it was from me.

I felt a little guilty about all the stuff I brought home, since it seems like I didn't bring that much to trade. BUT, people kept twisting my arm...."Take this, please. Don't you need this, too?" What could I do?

I think DH believed me when I told him the plants were free. I said, "Plant SWAP, not plant SALE." I'm thinking about trying to host a local swap in the fall. There are so many beautiful gardens in this tiny little town, and I am too shy to just knock on peoples' doors and ask them about things. So I'm thinking if I put signs up at the post office, library, bank, wine shop, etc, I bet a lot of people are just like me, and would love to meet and share, but aren't bold enough to do it without an excuse.

• MarthaLouis
    17 years ago

Hey Jen....I am glad I am not the only one who's husband ask:
    1. How much did you spend on those plants?
    2. Where you going to put it?
    3. I thought you went to give your plants away.
    4. Don't you already have one of those?
    Aren't Husbands and boyfriends...just wonderful...it's
    a man thing I am told.

Hey Sue...I brought the Datura Thriple Yellow.
    Can't wait to see everyone again.....
    Hugs to all.....Martha

• indianaplantlover
    17 years ago

O.K. I brought the columbine in styrofoam cup, datura metal and some pink butterfly weed. Hope this helps. I can't wait to see everyone again. I found a box full of seeds I never got around to ws so a few will be started now to share later. Thanks again to everybody. Vicci

Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Vicki for the info and for the wonderful plants.

What seeds are you starting for later? This inquiring mind wants to know.

Might you be attending the Perennials Plus swap Aug 2nd at 6:30? Did you get the info on upcoming events?

Kyflowerchild (Linda) passed them out late in the swap.

Did you see the post by Marcia on the Exchange page here with mention of hosting another swap sometime in Sept?

Sue

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

Sue,
    the asclepias may be from me -does it say "Silky Red"? that's the one I w/s last year- I love it! (and so do the Monarch butterflies)

I had Sungold tomatoes and Loves Lies Bleeding too- don't recall if anyone else had them or not-

maybe next time, we can put our name on the containers too-I also like knowing who gave them to me, and sometimes can't remember them all :))

Gee, I dreaded going back to work yesterday! the weather is SO beautiful, and I have (still) so many w/s babies to get out and some of my swap plants too...

I hope to go to the Perinnials Plus tour tomorrow-Vicci email me for directions if you want *sorry I forgot to hand out the flyers until almost too late* I also 'forgot' to take pictures - duh! LOL

"waving hi to everyone"
    Linda

Original Author
    17 years ago

I had 3 butterfly weeds...

Silky red from Linda

Asclepias Curassivica...from ?
    and a Pink butterfly weed from?

I received something else that I think might be a swamp milkweed...who might have brought that? It was in a tall styro cup, I think. Next time I'm just gonna have to pay more attention...but plants were everywhere!

I'm really set to get the butterflies this season and in the future...wouldn't you say?

Sue

• MarthaLouis
    17 years ago

Hi all again....Who was it that was wanting Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate? I have plenty of seeds that I can send you...Just let me know who and where to send them to.
    Good gardening everyone.
    Sincerely,
    Martha(louis)

• smckellep
    17 years ago

my apologies for being so late to pipe up & say THANK YOU! to marcia & dwight for hosting, and to everyone for their generosity. it was an amazing day, and as i drove home i kept peering over my shoulder into the backseat full of green babies, shaking my head & smiling. my wife's jaw hit the ground when i pulled into the driveway, and she asked 101 questions about what was what. my daughter was THRILLED with the houseplants i got for her; i stopped by her apartment today to check on them, and they all look very perky & happy in her new apartment!

MY tiny garden is full-to-bursting now, but that won't stop me from coming to the fall swap just to see everyone again!

i've got the photos i took, but haven't down/uploaded them yet (i've been too busy in the garden!) i promise i'll get to it this weekend, though, and will post them in their own thread on this forum when i do.

it was really great to meet everyone...i'm still a bit overwhelmed by everyone's kindness.

happy gardening from a grateful susan in old louisville

• indianaplantlover
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, I disappeared for a while. The kids had dance recital and gymnastic recital. All the practice sessions and costume stuff has kept me busy. Now they are in the Spirit Over the Water on the River Stage in Jeffersonville. Anyway, all the great things I got from the swap are doing wonderfully. I can't wait till the next one. I have tons of daylily seedlings that I started from seed this year. All are named crosses but I have no place to put 40 or 50 more daylilies. I will bring those and probably some hosta babies growing from seed. Not to sure of what I may have to add before. Hope everyone is having a great summer. I will now have time to get on here more often.
    Marciagaye, so sorry I havn't been back with you about the ferns. The ones I got are doing well so I am just going to give them time to spread. Thank you for the offer to share. Have to get going while it is still cool enough to work outside for a while. Working on the shade garden. It still looks pretty empty but is coming along. Have a great holiday everyone. Vicci

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County