Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

DeMoyne's perennial sale

alison
18 years ago

DeMoynes greenhouse (2500 Airport Drive in Columbus) is having their perennial sale Friday thru the 15th. 50% off.

I can't go till Friday. Don't buy all the good stuff before I get there!!!

Comments (9)

• storygardener
    18 years ago

oooo..I wonder if they have clematis on sale. It's my "flavor of the month" this year. Hope I can get out there. Thanks, Alison.

• alison
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Even tho' I typed Friday, I ws thinking it started today.

I have the day off work tomorrow.

Hehehe.....

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I called and checked...yes, ALL perenials...even the clematis. Goodie!

• nimblewill
    18 years ago

I was just there, and they have a lot of nice plants. OTOH, they also have a batch of Hosta 'Sum and Substance' that is infected with what appears to be Hosta Virus X. I spoke with their perennial manager, and he was not familiar with HVX. He did say, though, that he would remove the S&S. If you go and look at hosta, I hope you don't see any S&S as the entire batch is infected, not just the plants showing symptoms. Since they have at least one supplier that is dumping diseased stock on them, I would examine any prospective hosta purchase there (or anywhere for that matter) for signs of disease.

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX photos

• alison
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, happy day....

I went early this morning, before it got too warm. Picked up 18 plants for $22.50. Admittedly small, 4" pots, but -- whoa! -- what a selection!

Picked up a few little knick-knacks for $1, 50 cents, etc. for garden gifties. Planted out the things I bought. Sat out on the upstairs porch with a gourmet tuna salad, cucumbers, a cold beer and a dish of sherbet.

And then it started gnawing at me. All those things I didn't get.... All those plants I've never seen.... So I went back and got another flat of different plants! Fantastic!

I had promised a friend of mine sweet woodruff for her front yard this fall. I picked up 3 $1.25 pots at the sale, then stopped off at the restaurant supply store and picked up 3 giant lasagna pans. I have potted them up, spreading one pot of woodruff to each pan (they spread out to almost fil it already!) Watered them well and set them in the shade to spread out and fill in -- by early fall these should be full packed 12"x18" pans of woodruff ready to be spread out again -- not bad for less than $7

Now, if I could just stop thinking about that "American Revolution" daylily and the "Scarlet Dropmore" honeysuckle I had to leave behind. Only $5 each....

{{gwi:1072921}}

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I went this afternoon and got 3 Crocosmia, 2 white liatris, 1 hosta, and 2 foxglove mertonensis. Probably one of the least expensive trips to the nursery I've ever had, but I was really pleased with what I found!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I went over this morning...what fun!! I got some rock garden/alpines for Murray's new rock garden:aethionem katchyi, blue carpet speedwell, campanula dickens gold, stachys minor & androsacea laninosis. I got two really pretty clematis - viteclla venos violacea & montana rubens.

I LOVE plant sales...& plant swaps....& plant casual plant trades with friends ....& when a friend finds something for me that she/he knows I'd love for the garden and I love it ALL!

Thanks for the tip, Alison.

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Great thread! I'm a little under the weather, but have enjoyed reading about your purchases! Alison, you have the whole backyard meal thing down pat! Perhaps a menu book or cookbook is in your future?

• Photobug
    18 years ago

Did anyone notice if they had milkweed? It's so hard to find this year and mine didn't make it through the winter. Thanks!

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!