Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Tah-dah! Pictures of my garden!

alison
19 years ago

Bear with me -- I've discovered a new toy. When I went to get pictures of my garden developed today, I had a coupon for a free CD disk, too.

So... I've uploaded som pictures of my back garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alison's backyard and alley garden

Comments (12)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Congrats on your new skill! You take much better pictures than I do. I can see where you do have space constraints, but it looks like you have a plan and the situation out of control.

Looks great - very charming!
    Karen

• cecropia
    19 years ago

Great job Alison.I love it when people use plants to dramatically improve an otherwise sterile urban environment.I'll bet your neighbors really appreciate it too.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

These pics are SO nice, Alison. I love all the pots going up and down the stairs. It's such a great use of space and a fun way to garden. You have an oasis in the city. It's wonderful..thanks for posting these.

...Beverly

• wakerry
    19 years ago

What awesome pictures. I love the look of all the different sizes and shapes of planters together. It must take you quite a while to water in the summer. Isn't taking picutures of your handiwork a blast? I have a digital camera and now I tend to record everything with a picture.

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It does take a while to water, which I always forget in the spring. I've discovered the joys of larger pots and water retaining crystals, but I usually water them twice a week during the heat of the summer

Some of the pots are simply waiting for another spot in the yard, but I like having the scented plants where I can sit among them, and brush past when I come home.

You're right, kerry; taking the pictures is addictive! I've never taken many pictures, but I stumbled across a great deal on those disposables and bought a bunch for $3.50.

So I'm a photo-fool now!

• pkock
    19 years ago

Alison, that's just lovely! Here in suburbia we come up with all kinds of excuses for not having the kind of garden we want - and actually say, sometimes, "not enough room"! But when I venture into the city and see creative plots like yours, well, y'all just put us to shame.

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

I really enjoyed looking at your pictures! Am I correct in thinking you're in German Village? Have you noticed any microclimates in your gardens? I've heard there are many zone 7 plants growing down there amongst all of those warm, cozy bricks. Why haven't I ever gone on the annual garden tour? Have you (or have you been a stop on the tour?)

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Actually, it's Victorian Village, but I've heard the same thing about German Village. And I swear, every spring, I can smell sweet olive -- somewhere down there. The tour is pretty cool. VV does one as well, but I really liked the GV tour because their space is truly at a premium and it's neat how they manage to pack so many things into so small a space.

If I owned my place, there are so many things I'd want to do. If I could even just get the landlords brother to get rid of the motorcycles and broken exercise equipment laying around the yard.....

Unfortunately, my dreams of extensive water features run into reality. And the best I've got so far is a home-made dribbler into the bird bath, to lure the birds.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

You can't beat GV for their ingenuity for small gardens. And as for the insides, these tiny cottages feel bigger than my 1964 split. It's amazing. Next time there is a tour, either village, would you post? I would love to go see that. I've heard the microclimate story too and from what I have seen down there I believe it.

As for your LL, an anonymous call to the city could solve the junk problem. I hear they are really cracking down on ordinance violations in VV. It's really in your LLs best interest, so I wouldn't feel guilty.

Off to Frampton and Styx tonight - son works for Sunny 95. Do you feel like we do?

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Oh Alison! How lovely! I really enjoy seeing other gardener's gardens. If you wanted to bring some of those irises to the plant swap I know someone who would like them ;) !!!! Keep up the nice work!

Mimi

• Carole39
    19 years ago

Alison, Thanks a million for sharing your pics! Really enjoyed looking at your lovely creations. (must learn how to do that)

• Photobug
    19 years ago

Alison,

Your garden is beautiful. And I love those old houses in Victorian Village, so much charm!

Thanks for sharing.

Rhonda