Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

Foxgloves and Delphiniums

Lisa Hayes
19 years ago

I love these flowers and have not had any luck in the past. Does anyone in Kentucky have luck with these flowers? At my local grocery they had a Foxglove Mertonis (excuse spelling). The tag said it was a true perennial. It did look very different from other Foxgloves. It have very dark almost leather like leaves. Will this one do better?

Comments (9)

• superfreak
    19 years ago

Never tried the foxglove, but have had Delphiniums in the bed for 3 years running now. They usually do fine when I put them in the ground, but a bit more hit or miss as to whether they come back. I just love them enough to keep replanting. Out of three plants last year, I only had one return.. but then found two seedlings that manage to get themselves started else where in the garden. None of them have bloomed yet and are still quite small. But I did buy two more to go with it for this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

I haven't had any luck with skinny-leaved Delphiniums overwintereing. But some of those with the broad, fat leaves return. No experience with that kind of foxglove.

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

I don't know what variety of delphinium I planted. I picked them up at a 4 for $1 sale three years ago and they're still going strong. I even put them on the north side of my house. Wish I could tell you what I did. I'm with Super freak, I love them so much that I'd buy more and plant them like annuals!

Mimi

• jeanner
    19 years ago

I have just recently had success with foxgloves. Mine are perennial foxgloves but I honestly don't remember the variety. I always thought that foxgloves liked it damp but I have since discovered that they like it a little on the dry side, once they are established. They do need good drainage but you need to keep them from going bone dry right after you plant them. Mine bloomed for the first time this year and I am now in love with them.

Hope that helps
    Jean

• alanrocks
    19 years ago

I had foxgloves for several years before they pooped out. They would reseed themselves. I got Yellow Foxglove seeds (Digitalis lutea) and this spring (in their 3rd year) the plants bloomed. Not as conspicuous as their biennial counterparts, but quite nice nonetheless. I've germinated Digitalis Excelsior Hybrids from seed this spring and have a good number of plants both planted and in temporary pots. I'll look for blooms next year.

• daisy29
    19 years ago

I bought Foxglove Digitalis for the first time two weeks ago. I fell in love with their height and beautiful blooms. After one week the leaves started getting all soft and mushy. I have trimmed them all back and only have two stalks left now! I have come to the conclusion that I must have overwatered them although I was told they need a lot of water. If anyone has any thoughts on that let me know.

• sylky00
    19 years ago

I have had some really nice foxgloves for 2 yrs. now. I had tried them previously with no luck, so don't give up.
    They were really spectacular last year, due to the unusually cool, wet spring. The plants overwintered (winter was not as cold) & this year, they were a little less floriferous, but still nice. Some of the varieties
    were Alba & Apricot, and a pink that I don't remember now.
    I'm still trying with Delphiniums, though. There is something so striking & elegant about the vertical growers.

• JasonMtnMan
    19 years ago

I have had good luck with my foxglove ( don't recall var. off hand.) so far. we moved into our house last year, and I planted one. It came back this year and had very pretty yellow flowers.
    I also planted a purple var. this year. It seems to have taken very well to the location I put it in. So I look forward to nice purple flowers next year!

Jason

• Jazmyn
    19 years ago

I had my first true flowers on both my foxglove and delphiniums this season - I grew foxglove from seed 3 years ago, but lost the plants when i tried to move them from Buffalo to Ohio last year. They don't like to be transplanted at ALL. they melted away to mush.

But both plants overwintered well, and were vibrant and showy this season. I'm worried about my purple delphinium - it dried out and is completely gone now, and i suspect I've lost it.

anyway, I have Digitalis Purpurea, variety unknown (it was a gift) which did well - not sure if it's a true perrennial or a biennial. It had 8 or 10 fully blooming stalks this season - my first since planting last year. A lovely white to pale lavender, with dark maroon spots inside each blossom. I have it in a fairly sheltered spot on the East side of the house, near my Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. The leaves are furry and pale green., growing in a low clump.

according to the AHS A-Z encyclopedia, Digitalis Purpurea is best grown as an annual, and it often reseeds itself. It's a biennial or shortlived Perennial.

I'm one Zone north of you, so I'd think this variety would work for you as well.

hope this helps,

Jaz

Sponsored