Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...

Posted by alison 6b/OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 18:46

...to my cat!

What is it with Husker Red penstemon and cats?!?

In my last garden I tried several times to grow this. I'd had great success with other penstemons, and I love the Husker Red contrast of smoldering burgundy and green leaves with the crisp white flowers. But the cat I had then had a serious crush on this plant. He'd chew on it, frothing a little at the mouth. Once he'd killed it, he dug up the roots, and rolled in them, going into an ecstasy most cats reserve for high grade catnip. You couldn't interrupt him without eliciting grows and threats, and afterwards he had to sleep it off. Never touched any other penstemon, or any other plant, for that matter.

New garden, new cats, and I potted up a half dozen seedlings from the garden center to put on some more heft before I plant them out in the front yard. My longhair cat couldn't care less, but my Siamese will carefully pick his way thru the bakers rack of seedlings in recycled water bottles, grab the Husker Red, drag it out and gnaw on it. Over and over and over....

Anybody else have this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Losing my Husker Red penstemon...

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 20:34

Alison, I had a husker red some time ago which just up'n'died for some reason. I never noticed the cat around it; they all hung out around the nepeta (including the cat form the neighbor 2 doors down). Maybe it was a cat that killed it and I just didn't notice. I haven't tried one since.

o
RE: Losing my Husker Red penstemon...

With some trepidation I went ahead and planted it in my front garden. We've got a ton of semi-feral cats in this neighborhood and the last thing I want is a bunch of drooling, crazed penstemon-hopheads rolling around in my yard.

Of course, that might be better than having them poop in the mulch, which is what they did last year....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here