Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wish2okc

Windy, windy day!

wish2okc
16 years ago

What a windy day its been! Some of the daylily blossoms have blackened, curled edges and some individual petals have been broken by the wind. Others just kind of shriveled up early. Never seen anything quite like it.

Comments (4)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Jane,

Yes it was...it caused me to have to put some things away (that should have already been put away)...so it was a good thing.

I did not have any daylilies in bloom yet, so no problem with them.

This am is soooo nice out. I'm heading out and staying until it heats up or I am forced to quit to meet a commitment this eve. It is so perfect out now...especially since we got a little rain yesterday...about 1/2 inch I think.

Sue

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We got about a quarter inch yesterday, but even that little bit helps. Yes, it was a delicious morning. After devouring strawberry pancakes at Cracker Barrel, we went for a drive just enjoying all the beautiful corn and wheat fields, old farm houses, barns & silos. Stopped in one little town that just happened to have a Rural King. Do y'all have those? All trees & shrubs 40% off!! Someone told me that they will go lower, but having no self control, I did pick up a few things...a Dynamite Crepe Myrtle, couple of Emerald Gaiety Euonymous, snowball viburnum and an endless summer type hydrangea but I don't recall the name and a cottoneaster whose name also eludes me. All common, I know, but remember I'm starting from scratch & I can use em all. Plus, I'm collecting estimates for a fence right now and soon will have new border areas to be filled. Yippee!! I'm rambling aren't I? New plants do that to me.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Jane,

Yes, we have Rural King up this way.I loved shopping there last season, but it is an hour away, so I don't get 'by' there often in my travels out of town. I do remember getting several things there last season, as they had some more 'unique' stuff than is often found elsewhere.

I had not heard of Dynamite Crepe Myrtle...how pretty. Maybe I can get a few cutting from you once it matures enough to withstand a few snips here or there. I love that color. They are easy to save seeds from too...hint, hint. I have a dwarf med bright pink I could share cuttings of. Sharing cuttings at the swap would have been a good idea, considering it would have been a good time of year to try and start them.

an endless summer type hydrangea but I don't recall the name
    Endless summer is the name. it blooms on both the old and new wood, and will be either blue or pink depending upon the soil. Mine is 2 years old (I think) and is only about 12 inches tall, but it has a unopen bloom on it finally. I don't think it likes where it is planted, so I plan/hope to hove it sometime later...along with almost everything I have it seems.

I too am rambling...do that when it is late night, or early AM when there is no one I can call and ramble to.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Crepe Myrtle

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, I'll see what I can do about a start of the Dynamite for you. May not get it planted till fall though.

The hydrangea is called Blushing Bride and blooms white, turning to pinkish. Planted it today on the north side of the house. Planted another unnamed variety there about a month ago & it seems to like it so this may develop into my hydrangea area.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!