Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Say It

Posted by bakemom z6 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 04 at 19:25

If this is common knowledge please forgive me. But I read where OSU's Plant Facts has audio files that speak the latin names for you.

http://plantfacts.osu.edu/images.lasso

It's a little slow, but a lot of fun. Boy was I off on a few names.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Say It

I LOVE that link, Bakemom. I, too, have been saying some of these wrong. I don't suppose it makes that much difference. But, it's fun to HEAR the correct way to say it.

Thanks for the website!

...Beverly

o

In college I was a little surprised to hear how differently latin names were pronounced depending on which science professor was doing the pronouncing. For instance, Arthropoda was pronounced Ar-throp'-uh-duh (both o's short, emphesis on the second syllable) or Ar-thro-po'-duh (both o's long, emphasis on the third syllable). Which one is right? Anyone here versed in latin?

o

Only from singing...in which the "O" sound is always a "pure" vowel. That is, it's long. "I" is always pronounced "EE". "A" is always pronounced "AAH". "U" is always "OOO". "E" is kind of an "EH" leaning toward an "AEH".

So "Ubi caritas amor, deus ibi est....ora pro nobis" would be oooobee caahreetaahs aahmor, dehoos eebee ehst....oraah pro nobees.

Singing in Latin is fun! :)
Gina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here