Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oakland sale

Posted by gardengirl_17 z5 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 20:09

Today Oakland nursery started their annual "appreciation" sale - otherwise known as the "please buy our plants before they croak in the heat sale" . Everything is at least 20% off. I left with a Miscanthus 'Morning Light' to replace the dwarf white pine at the end of the driveway that some kid killed when they crashed their bike and landed on it breaking the main trunk ;) 2 african daisies and 1 Helenium Wyndley.

I have never grown Helenium before. Please tell me it's not as much of a thug as the Black eyed susans I ripped out this spring!
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oakland sale

Nope. Helenium isn't a thug....at least it hasn't been for me....

o

Only problem I have heard about is taller varieties may need staking. Shorter sturdier cultivars do not. Is this nursery in columbus? If so, I have been there. Impressive place.

o

I've only gone to the one on North Broadway, apparently the one out in the 'burbs is 10 times as large.

I picked up 4 "rose campion" there over the weekend for $2 each; half price. But they don't look like any rose campion I've ever seen before. They are extremely full flowers, in fact, they look exactly like white mini-carnations. At this point in the season I would suspect they were mislabelled, but a whole tray of 12 plants had the same printed labels.

Anyone know this variety?

o

I've never seen a double rose campion Alison but you never know! I've only been to the store off of North Broadway too. It's plenty big enough for me! LOL. I refer to this store and Bakers Acres as "my happy places". :) If I've had a hard day or week at work, sometimes I just tell the DH I'm going to my happy place and he understands!

o

Well, it turns out the reason it doesn't look anything like a rose campion is that it isn't a rose campion even though it says rose campion on the labels.

It's actually a silene. "Swan Lake". I think I may go back and pick up a few more if their still there!

o

Have only been to the nursery on Oakland Park Ave. It is worth checking out. Did not see one bad looking plant in the place! Wish this place was down here in cincinnati, but we have some good places too.

As my brother lives in columbus, I would be interested in other nurseries to go to such as Baker's Acres. Places with quality plants & reasonable prices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here