Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirl_17

Columbus Plant Swap Daylilies

gardengirl_17
18 years ago

I don't know who brings the daylilies to the Plant Swap but I just wanted to thank you. Mountain violet started blooming for me today and it's gorgeous! There are 5 scapes on this plant, which is wonderful! I think I also picked up Roses in Snow from you last fall. I haven't seen it bloom yet but it's getting ready. Thanks!

Kim

Comments (15)

• trishohiozone5_6
    18 years ago

Hi Kim,

I'm the one who brought Roses in Snow last year, but I didn't bring Mountain Violet this year. Roses in Snow may not be showing its white edge yet, the ones I transplanted after I divided them last fall aren't, but hang on the edge may appear later in the season.
    Trish

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Trish for the Roses in Snow - it bloomed today and has a couple more scapes with plenty of buds on each. It has a faint edge, but it's more beige, I bet you're right and as the plant matures or the season gets later the edge will show. It is a beautiful flower with lots of substance. I didn't get to see it first thing this morning and I bet it was brighter then. I'll have to be sure to check tomorrow to see if there's another bud open. I've gone daylily crazy and have decided that the West facing bed is going to be mostly daylilies and the South facing front beds are also going to have several. Thanks again Trish for sharing!
    Kim

• trishohiozone5_6
    18 years ago

Kim,
    Beware---Daylilies can be addictive!
    I've sent you an e-mail.
    Trish

• debb28
    18 years ago

I am soooo jealous!! I had the swap written on my calender and was planning on going for weeks, then I found out my neice had her wedding shower on that day. UHGGGGGGG

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Debb, put the fall swap on your calendar. It's September 17th and tell your relatives to stop being so inconsiderate! ;)

• alison
    18 years ago

How are folks daylilies doing? I have a few Stella D'Oros, which seem so hardy they almost don't count, but the daylilies I planted last fall don't seem to be faring so well.

"My Hope" started out great this spring, it already has 3-4 spruts to the side, which seems a bit precocious. And the "Oriental Ruby" looked good -- up until about a week ago, when lots of the leaves on both started to turn brown and wither. It has been very dry lately, but I've been pulling out the hose and letting the whole bed get a good long drink abut once a week or so.

Is there anything special I should be doing for these? They are on the south side of the fence, and they get a fair amount of sun all day long, but it doesn't seem to bother the lilies, geraniums and peonies that surround them.

Appreciate any advice!

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alison, I would just keep with your watering routine. Maybe fertilize with something like osmocote this fall or a little manure. It could take them a year to get really established. If they're getting plenty of sun and some water, they should be fine. What I love about these is how nearly indestructible they are and it sounds like you've got a good spot for them. If only the leaves at the base of the plant are turning yellow and it's not the whole plant, it's probably just the normal daylily thing. I find that the leaves at the bottom of the plant do this and I just pull them off. I love the flowers but don't think the foliage is anything to write home about and this is one of the reasons. I think they're best when planted with things that can hide the brown foliage. Maybe Trish will weigh in here - she's much more experienced with the daylilies than I am!

• daylilyfan
    18 years ago

Ahhh.... If I had known that a person could bring Daylilies to the swap, I would have come! I have a lot of dayliles, and need other perennials. So many of my perennials have died out through the years. I didn't really think there would be many people interested in daylilies there.

Trish, to bring ROSES IN SNOW to a swap was very generous of you !! It's still pretty pricey!

Allison, I'm not sure what to tell you about your daylilies. Some of mine almost get brown when it's really hot like this..... I call it getting sunburnt. They do come out of it though. The one that had 3-4 sprouts on the side sounds like the crown died, and it's coming back from the roots. Happens some times. It may get a little grassy looking, with many small fans over the next year or two. It can then be divided, and will hopefully grow normally from then on. Did you just plant ORIENTAL RUBY this year, or did you plant it last year? If it was this year, I would not be to worried.

Trish ---- Hmmm..... do I recognize your name from MCDS??? I think so! If not the rest of this paragraph won't make much sense to you!!! I need to come to Columbus and see your garden, as well as some of the other folks. I don't think I am going to be able to run all over the state this year doing my AHS garden judges duties like I usually do... want to stay closer to home. Thought about you, Shawn, Jamie, and of course, Dear Sharon's.... Maybe Mcmurtry's too. Any others you can tell me about in the Columbus area that would have a lot of the plants up for awards??? I used to go to Paul and Annies, but after seeing them at Rice's a few weeks ago, it does not sound like they are ready for a garden visit yet at their new place. (By the way Trish, I am the Jules who helps Curt with the Cleveland meeting)

My daylilies are doing well. I am trying to give them a really good (3") drink every weekend. The seedlings and the ones in the "bottom bed" down the hill have not been watered yet - only the newest and most expensive. I'm planning on watering the hill and below in the next couple days.

Big storms rolled through Central Ohio yesterday, they got 2-1/2 inches 5 miles from me, but I only got a sprinkle. I finally broke down and sprayed for thrip - I hate to, but they were really bad. They made hay next to me, and after that, I think all the thrip came to my garden.

Jules

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DaylilyFan, you really should come to the swap in the fall. You would have a great selection of perennials, tons of good food and especially nice people! We'd love to have you. I myself have just been bitten by the daylily bug in the last couple of years. I have 48 varieties now, but I know that's small potatoes compared to what the rest of my nutty daylily friends have! :) Some of my earliest clumps are big enough I think I'll divide them and bring some to the swap in August. I hope we see you there!
    Kim

• daylilyfan
    18 years ago

It is in August? I'll watch for details... or is there an e- mailing list?

Although I don't have time to post much, I do read this forum a lot.

Sounds perfect. I'm a good cook too.... so I can add to the good food!

The daylilies are just starting to bloom in my garden (I am east of Johnstown about 10 miles) and every morning is like a gift! Like seeing old friends as the different ones bloom.

Jules

• alison
    18 years ago

It's September 17th, and it should be great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Central Ohio Fall Swap thread

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Hey, Daylily fan...the Columbus Plant Swap is Sept. 17 at a park in Hilliard. Check the Get-togethers forum for all the details.

I have gotten some very nice daylilies at the swap over the years - Helen Strader, Arctic Snow, Right on Target, Designer Gown, Pennysworth, Don Stevens, Green Eyes Winking and others. Sometimes there's a big selection of daylilies - sometimes not. Ya never know.

Beverly

• daylilyfan
    18 years ago

Well, that works out really well! I have the week of Labor day off on vacation! I hope to be having a sale and so will be spitting daylilies to send out. No trouble to throw a few fans into pots to bring to a swap.

I'll check out the info on the other thread.

Thanks!!
    Jules

• daylilyfan
    18 years ago

LOL!!!!!! make that splitting daylilies, not spitting them!

• gardengirl_17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here are my plant swap daylilies, they're doing great!

Roses In Snow

Mountain violet

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner