Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Anyone Going Blueberry Picking?

bakemom_gw
19 years ago

I'm thinking it's about time again and I placed a call to Waldo Berry Farm, just north of Delaware. What a great time that is! The shotgun sounds overhead to scare the birds and all the netting is a little afganistanish, but still makes for a delightful and interesting afternoon. The berries are cheap and beautiful. I take them home, package up a few pints for neighbors and then freeze a bunch on cookie sheets for muffins etc. later.

Anyone else do this? BTW, in Columbus, I have a good raspberry crop and no kids to eat them - they're visiting relatives out of state - help yourselves.

Comments (3)

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The reason I posted this here is that my blueberry bushes did pretty much nothing again - I've tried all the acid remedies. Someone told me I couldn't grow them in Columbus and I was determined to prove him wrong. Seems he was right.

Does anyone have any luck growing blueberries in the Ohio Valley?

• wakerry
    19 years ago

I live in Northern KY and have 7 low-bush blueberries in 5-gal containers. They were planted in the spring of 2000 and have had berries beginning in the spring of 2001. That year I found out that I have to net the plants to keep the birds out of the berries.

My biggest problem has been with pollination. The bushes are white with blossoms but bees are normally very few in number here at that time so the yield isn't what it could be. This year I only saw a single bumble bee on several occasions though I suspect there were others. It wasn't until the last couple of weeks that I started seeing any honey bees.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blueberries

• JillP
    19 years ago

I have 5 blueberry bushes.
    Three of them are I have no idea how old. I got them from a coworker 20 years ago and he didn't know how old they were. I transplanted them 3 times my self. One bears like crazy. The other 2 are not doing so great. I have 2 new ones about 5 years old. They started bearing their second year and are loaded. Of course I cannot remember what kind they are. Don't do anything special. I think I mixed peatmoss in when I planted the first 3. When the kids were little I had them convinced it was a real treat to ride in the wagon down to the nearby cemetary and load up with pine needles to bring back for the blueberries. Now I just put compost on them. Cover them with netting from Joanne Fabric (works much better than commercial bird netting, and it keeps the jap beetles off, too!) And yes I am picking. We had bluberry pancakes Sat., and today I made a blueberry sourcream coffee cake.

Sponsored