Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

What's Blooming For You Right Now?

leafy02
14 years ago

This is my first season gardening in my new location, central Kentucky. I've started a border in the backyard that is just for flowers--perennials and a few annuals--for cutting and just enjoying when we're out back.

I'd like bloom all growing season, and I have lots of room to put in more plants, so I'd like to hear what other people have blooming right now, so I can keep an eye out for those while shopping.

I'm only counting plants that weren't purchased already in bloom.

Blooming for me now are:

Gaura

Nepeta

Roses

Daylilies

Balsam--annual started from seed

How about you?

Comments (9)

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Let me see,
    Coneflowers
    Blanket flowers
    rudbeckia
    Love in a mist
    larkspur is everywhere
    Shastas
    speedwell
    salvias
    butterfly weed
    crinum lilies
    penstemon
    acanthus mollis is blooming for me for the 1st time
    monardas
    balloon flowers & short dahlias are starting to bloom
    asiatic lilies are still in bloom, but not for much longer
    delphiniums, eremurius, & foxgloves are just starting to fade

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I didn't know we could grow delphiniums down here--I always thought of them as a New England plant. Good to know.

And my asiatic lilies have not even started yet. They were planted by previous homeowners & I'm eager to see what colors they are.

I have coneflowers, rudbeckia, coreopsis, veronica and shastas getting ready to bloom, but all were planted this season so I didn't know if they were early or late or what--thank you for posting, it helps!

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I've heard people say we can't grow delphs here, but I guess I didn't know that when I planted these from seed a few years ago. I only have 4, but they consistently come back. I started some more this spring.

• alison
    14 years ago

In Central Ohio, I'm getting a second flush of rugosa and floribunda roses. Sweet william are still blooming -- and have been for a month it seems!

Geum, blue flax, English thyme, Victoria blue salvia, dragon's blood and lidenkanse sedum are wrapping up.

Red Rocks penstemon, and some blue penstemon that I started from seed but forgot to write down are blooming.

Corepsis, gaillardia, primroses, are getting started.
    I've had some Oriental lilies already, and the rest are plumping up. The lavender is going crazy.

Nasturtiums and morning glories are starting.

Heliotrope and lantana are blooming in the hanging baskets, but I buy those as annuals every year, so they aren't exactly "in season".

Best news for me is that my figs have a big healthy crop setting for the second year. There's nothing as decadent as walking out on your front porch and having a sun-warmed fig with breakfast!

• kilngod
    14 years ago

(ngraham, I soooooo want to trade for your acanthus when you have babies available.)

I have these blooming:
    rudbeckias
    coreopsis
    monarda
    feverfew
    elecampagne (inula)
    some evening primroses (others getting ready)
    some daylilies (others are budding)
    some heuchera
    some astilbe
    Lamb's ears are starting
    some hostas are budding up

Have been blooming for some time, and are still in bloom:
    larkpur
    spiderwort
    Silene
    dianthus
    chinese forget-me-nots
    Mexican primrose
    Roses
    Verbascum
    Gaillardia

Already bloomed a couple weeks ago:
    Foxgloves
    comfrey
    valerian

--Tina

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alison, your lavender has already started? I just planted a "hedge" of lavender this spring and the plants have doubled in size but show no signs of blooming. Mine are Hidcote. I also have a Munstead out back, no bloom yet, and a Spanish that I bought already blooming and it has lots of blooms.

Kilngod, rudbeckia? already?

Overall, it sounds like KY is about three weeks ahead of my old gardening region in Pennsylvania,and I am now wondering what on earth will still be blooming in August?

• aunt_lou
    14 years ago

hmmmmm??? Let's see---lots of petunias, impatiens, zinnias, Mt. Fugi morning glories, Snapdragons, verbena, balsaam impatiens, Cardinal vine, hostas, Blackberry lilies, Asiatic lilies, daylilies, assorted rudbeckias, Daisies, monardas, perennial salvias, Knock Out roses, Lavender, veronica, periwinkles, cranesbill, Miss Manners physostegia, butterfly bushes, geraniums, several coreopsis cultivars, achillea, some of the mums are starting and the anemone is budding, heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine and Doubloons, Chinese Delphiniums and the old fashioned tall ones too, hollyhocks, Russian Sage, liatris, violas, coneflowers, clematis vine still blooming some, bacopa, assorted hydrangea bushes, Rose of Sharons, and lobelia. Feel like I am forgetting something but that is most of it. Oh! the squash and mellons are blooming like crazy in the veggie garden! Do you count those?
    This has been fun---like counting ones blessings! :) Thanks!
    Aunt Lou

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it's well into August now and I still have a lot blooming. Happily my fears that there would be nothing left in August because of the heat down here haven't come to pass.

Blooming today we have:

Helenium
    Black-Eyed Susans
    Shasta Daisies
    Coneflowers Magnus, Sunrise, Coconut& Lime
    Hydrangeas: Annabelle, Nikko Blue, Peegee
    Blanket Flower "Oranges & Lemons"
    White Salvia (on it's second, smaller bloom0
    Sedum "Stardust"
    Roses
    Butterfly bush
    Obedient Plant
    Cleome
    Zinnias
    Sunflowers
    Balsam
    and my lavender hedge of Hidcote--in full bloom and covered in bees all day long.

Happy!

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I don't have a lot still blooming, August is when most things go down for me. Still have
    gaillardia
    balloon flowers
    phlox
    obedient plant
    yellow crocosmia
    4 o'clocks
    evening primrose
    dahlias
    cannas
    hardy hibiscus is beautiful, especially pink swirl dinnerplate
    salvias
    helenium
    Russian sage
    roses
    a few daylilies
    Tina, if I get any seedlings I will let you know. I received this in trade several years ago, it multiplied some but this is the first year it has bloomed. It wasn't really small when I received it either.