Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wakerry

My garden blog

wakerry
19 years ago

I have just discovered blogging and have set up a garden blog. A blog is a web log, a kind of online diary where you can post thoughts, pictures etc and others can reply. I uploaded some pictures from this year's garden including my mini float system.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden blog

Comments (8)

• dastowers
    19 years ago

Really a great idea. Loved you photos and descriptions. The black background was a bit hard to read on though. Overall super job.

Davena

• jeanner
    19 years ago

Very cool - I keep saying I am going to start a journal but never really get around to it. I do have a photo journal though that I do go back to see what was blooming when in previous years. I intended to put it on my website but haven't gotten to it yet. I like that you can add comments to it.

Jean

• wakerry
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The blog is really easy to do. I downloaded a program (Hello from picasa) that allows the uploading of pictures and it automatically resizes them. I do the text part on the web. They have templates for the background etc. I may switch to a different one that is easier to read (Davena thanks for the info) though I haven't had much time to play with it in the last couple of days.

I love to look at photos of other people's gardens. Often I get ideas I never would have thought of. If you decide to put yours online please post here and let us know.

• jeanner
    19 years ago

I have been working on my website, and like a garden, it is never really done, but unlike the garden, it is more of a winter hobby for me. The wildflower notebook is ready to upload (the detail pages are not there yet, but should be there later this week). The pond page is mostly done, although I haven't updated the pictures with this years pictures. The garden gallery is not there yet, but there are some garden photos in the pond page.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jean

Here is a link that might be useful: My home page

• wakerry
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Your pond is amazing. I've kept the page up for several hours and keep going back to it looking at the different views. I've been toying with the idea of a small pond. We rent (a house on almost an acre) so it would not be the oasis you have created. The landlords let me dig at will so something small isn't out of the question though.

Can you recommend any books or sites you made use of in your process? Is there a minimum size/depth for this area of the country and does the winter freezing affect the fish/pond itself?

Where are the 2004 pictues? lol. More! More! More!

• jeanner
    19 years ago

I'm glad you liked my pond - I am definitely a pond addict now. If I had to choose between a pond and a garden I would defintely pick the pond.

There are a lot of good books - any of Helen Nash's books are good. But the best advice I have gotten is on the pond forum on gardenweb. The advice there is more practical than what you'll read in books. The ponds over there range from 30 gallons to 10,000 gallons, and each one is different. Ponds can be as complex or as simple as you want (as most hobbies). A good website for beginners is Chuck Rushes website (see link below).

To overwinter fish, the pond needs to be at least 2 feet deep (deeper if you want koi) and you will need to keep a hole in the ice to allow gases to escape. Some people run the pump all winter, I use an aquarium air pump and it keeps the ice open and is inexpensive to run.

I'm warning you, ponding is a very addicting hobby. For proof, visit the pond forum and read what the addiction can do to you. Feel free to ask questions, just remember you will get as many different answers as there are ponds.

Hope to see you over on the pond forum...

Jean

Here is a link that might be useful: Chuck rushes website

• superfreak
    19 years ago

I love looking at everyone's pictures too! New combos and soo many ideas! I started up my garden journal last year and have fun adding to it when I can.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Great blog!! I loved the pictures. (especially the one that said "smile, please" - nice suprise!)

I must learn how to do this, too.

Thanks for sharing...Beverly

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting