Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Lupins - Elusive here?

bakemom_gw
17 years ago

I was just on the perennials forum looking at the beautiful Russel lupins there when it occured to me that I have planted a zillion last year and I have no sign of them.

What happened? Do they grow here? I sent a ton to the swap.

What is YOUR lupin experience here in the Ohio Valley?

Comments (4)

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

I must confess......I'm a lupin killer. Betty (from Michigan) brought me a lovely one that I planted last year. It bloomed beautifully and is now the most pathetic thing. I doubt that it will survive. Beverly planted one in her lasagna garden by the fence and hers looks great. I don't know what I do wrong but I hear that I'm not alone.

Good luck Karen!

~~Mimi

• michigoose
    17 years ago

it's nothing you do wrong guys.It's the plant. If you've ever been to Minnesota, PEI, Nova Scotia, Washington state and Maine during the Lupine season, you'll see TONS. They don't particularly like clay soils, and you have to amend the tar out of them....I managed to get them to go in CT briefly...they die out easily. However, the biggest problem here in Ohio is that they like cool summers....so when our hot sun gets combined with the clay soils...it isn't a marriage made in heaven.

I know I haven't been here long enough to grow them, but I'm not even going to try given my experience in CT and my knowledge of where they like it....I suppose you could try, but do they make iced tea for Lupines???? :) Lisa

• lyn_r
    17 years ago

I WS'd and planted five Lupines last year. They did not grow very tall but they did bloom. I was not sure they would even come back this year. Not only did they return as beautiful tall flowering plants, I have a gazillion babies from them dropping seeds last year. They are on the east side of the house and get morning sun only.

The babies are so thick that I am going to dig them up using the HOS method and plant them in some of my other gardens that do not get all day sun.

• storygardener
    17 years ago

I have been a lupin mass murderer all my life.(in Ohio and Michigan ) I could not grow them at all...from seed, small or large plants. But, like Mimi said, I got some from you and Betty (from Michigan) a couple of years ago. They have grown beautifully only in my lasagna garden. I have some that bloomed last year that are blooming again. I have read, however, they are a short lived perennial and may only last 2-3 seasons. (heck..I couldn't get them to do anything for one year!) I am elated that I have gotten these to grow recently. So, the difference in my experience is the soil. Seems like the light richness of the lasagna garden seems to work this time.

Good luck!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner