Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfan

Close to central OH and love daylilies?

daylilyfan
19 years ago

If you live near the central Ohio area and want to come see a wide selection of daylilies, I enjoy having visitors! I am about 45 minutes northeast of downtown Columbus. I am an AHS garden judge, as part of that I take a lot of pleasure in teaching people all I can about daylilies. My garden is just getting into good bloom. I should have decent bloom until the 3rd week of July. I can also tell you of a couple other places to visit in my area that have a wide variety of daylilies.

This weekend, July 3-4th, would be the best time, as I have a bunch of folks scheduled for the 10/11th and this weekend is still pretty well open.

I am about 10 minutes from the famous Baker's Acres (Alexandria)! And, about 25 minutes from Wilson's Garden Center (Newark)

click on my name above to send me an email and set up a time to visit.

Jules

Comments (7)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Road trip anyone? I volunteer the Swede mobile. Jules, do you know what you're getting into?

• daylilyfan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I think so!

Seriously, I mean just that. I like teaching people about them. So often, they think they can just go to Wal-mart and get plants, and don't realize there is a whole network of people who sell daylilies as a small home business, and those daylilies are so much cooler than the ones the Mart's sell and you can go pick them out yourself. And, you can find really unusual ones for the same price you'd pay at a Mart. I used to have a regular sales garden with tons of plants and regular hours. It was a fun side business to have. A broken foot that didn't heal right put an end to that. I just could not take care of enough beds to make it worth while. So, I quit having that. I scaled back and concentrated on getting a wide variety of plants that I enjoy seeing. I still sell a few, but nothing like I did several years ago. It's a hobby that's gone back to being fun for me instead of a business. And, a large part of that fun is sharing the beauty of them with others!

As a garden judge, you are supposed to grow a wide selection of hybridizers and types. I have plants that bloom at 10 inches and ones that bloom at nearly 6 feet. I have tetraploids and diploids. I have "spider" types with narrow graceful twisty petals, and ones with big wide fat lush blooms. Some have big ruffles, some look like the edges are dipped in glitter gold.

I also live close (within 20 minutes) to a couple other neat daylily growers your van could visit!

I will warn you that the best time to see daylilies is pretty early in the morning. You'd want to try to be here by 9-10 a.m. Especially if it's going to be a really hot day. A lot of my plants are dark reds and purples, and sometimes they don't look the best mid-afternoon, but they come back later in the day. Plus, it's more comfy for people to see them before it gets blazing hot!

This weekend is good for me because it's the weekend of the National meeting in St. Louis and most "daylily" folks are going (wish I was!) so it's a good time for me to have other folks in! Plus, Saturday I think it's only supposed to be 82, which is great.

I'm not sure what the Swede mobile is, but we'll find somewhere for it!

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

If you go on the 3rd I'm totally up for a roadtrip!! The fourth is out for me.

And I'd love to see bunches and bunches of daylilies!

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Oh crud. I just realized we were talking specific dates, not sometime during the 3rd or fourth weeks. I can't do either day. rats.

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Gosh! I wish that I were not going on vacation the third week of July! I'd join up for a road trip. I was wondering, Jules, are you the person that got with Beverly aka Storygardener and had the Hilliard gardenclub up for a visit? Well, Bakemom and Gina, maybe we can get together the first week of August? How's that for you Jules?

Mimi

• daylilyfan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mimi,
    By the first week of August, bloom will be done here. There may be scattered rebloom, but certainly not enough to come and see.

Bloom has been funny this year. Late bloomers have been blooming while the earlies were still out - the season seems "scrunched" together. Perhaps all the early rains. I know I got a lot of bud drop because of all the rain we had here.

I am past peak already :-(

Today I am heading up north to the Cleveland area to go to several gardens and look at daylilies - and they are forcasting storms - so won't that be pleasant! LOLO!

Maybe it will work out next year for you folks to come out during bloom.

Jules

• onesherri
    19 years ago

Well I certainly missed this road trip. I hope you will have it again next year.:) My brother lives in Columbus so I could have made the trip for the weekend. I just got interested in the daylillies last year and my gardens are growing quickly.
    I wanted to tour a few growers this year but I didn't quite get that far. To much work not enough play this year.:( Thanks for the offer, what a nice gesture,Sherri

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022