Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get trees in Northwest Ohio

Posted by toledogarden OHIO (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 8:07

Hi,
I'm a new homeowner, and would like to add a few trees to backyard. Not finding much in the area. Been to Lowe's, Home Depot, Meijer, Menards, Anderson's. They all have pretty much the exact same trees, none of them what I'm looking for.

Trying to find Catalpa tree and Crimson King maple. Also looking for Weeping cherry and Flowering Pear, although I've found a couple of the Cherry, just in pretty poor shape at Meijer. Can't even find flowering pears anywhere.

Woodville rd. nursery had a lot of the trees I'm looking for, but wouldn't sell them till fall, and wanted an outrageous amount.

I see flowering pear and crimson maple everywhere driving around, so there must be somewhere to get them.

Any Suggestions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get trees in Northwest Ohio

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 22:36

The big box stores might get fresh stock in for the fall planting season--so check back. They sometimes surprise me with what they get, although I've never seen catalpa anywhere. I see flowering pear for sale everywhere in the spring.

I wouldn't have wanted to plant in July either--except for the plants and shrubs that I got on clearance.

Did you ask at Andersons if they could get your picks for you? Does the Arboretum have a sapling sale in the fall?

Flowering pears are so common and overused down here, and are pretty weak trees to boot. I could send you some seedlings since they sprout everywhere.

If you are willing to start with baby trees, you could check the ArborDay foundation website to mail order.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here