Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

KY Daffodil Society-Sale-Aug 2nd, 2008-Louisville

Whoo-Hoo!...Looks like I may finally get to hit a local (kind of anyway) Daffodil sale. I've been wanting to go to one for years, and just have never made it. The date usually slipped by before I even knew it.

Anyway...it is this Saturday

Frank Otte Nursery

5095 Shelbyville Rd

St Matthews, KY 40207

(502) 896-2226

Mind you now, there are several Otte nursery locations, so be sure to go to the one listed above.

It is being held from 8AM until 12 PM.

Maybe I will see some of you there? I really, really want to be there before 8, but with my track record, there is a good likelihood that just won't happen. I do however hope to be there early. I wonder if they end up 'selling out' of everything that is brought. I wonder if there might be end of the sale Specials.

Has anyone ever been to one before?

Sue...getting all excited

Comments (3)

• flowerchildky
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Sue!
    I attended one of these sales several years ago- I only remember the iris-there were tons of them! I went with my neighbor -she got several iris - I wasn't 'in' to daylily then- I thought they were a little pricey, but now I realize some varieties are more than others and that's fine plus being 'named' is worth a lot! As I understand it, it's the daff, iris and daylily societies all present with their 'wares'-

I think I will go and check it out! Love to look/wish/plan/dream :))
    If something happens, and I can't attend, I will let you know--
    Linda (by the airport)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As I understand it, it's the daff, iris and daylily societies all present with their 'wares'-

Well, I just called Otte's, and got a worker bee there. He said there would be irises, daffs (only he called them daffodils), daylilies, AND hostas
    He said they were working now clearing out areas in the nursery for the different ones to set up their tables for their sales.

Whoo-Hoo! I'm thinking I may need to go camp out down there, just to be assured of being there when the sales start....with my track record of always being late...sigh.

I'm almost as excited about this as I was the annual swap.

If something happens, and I can't attend, I will let you know--
    Linda (by the airport)
    I'll email you...while we would both be busy at the sale elbowing our way in, maybe we could go do brunch or lunch afterwards.

Anyone else?

Sue

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had posted about the sale on another forum and afterwards was asked, "So what were your best finds at the sale?

I have copied and pasted my reply from there as I thought others might be interested in a heads up on it and might be interested in attending nest year.

It was a great day. I had soooo much fun

I went with $200...buying and splitting with a GW daff loving cyber friend.

Below is a list of the named ones I got.

1 BLB....$5....Ace of Diamonds 9w-r
    2 PK.....$7....Chaste........................1w-w
    2 BLB....$9....Excitement.....................3w-yyo
    2 PK.....$3....Jonquilla.....................no info other than that is the nameÂ
    3 PK.....$1....Keats.........................4w-y
    1 PK.....$1....Merry Bells...................5w-y
    1 BLB....$3....New Penny.....................3y-y
    2 PK.....$1....Oregon Bells..................7w-w
    1 BLB....$5....Owyhee........................2y-p
    1 PK.....$1....Pentucket....................9w-gyr
    1 BLB....$2....PollyÂs Pearl.................8w-w
    2 PK.....$3....Rapture......................6y-y
    2 PK.....$1....Sunny Miss...................7y-o
    2 PK.....$1....Swift Arrow..................6y-y
    2 PK.....$1....Thackery.....................9w-gyr
    1 PK.....$3....Twin Sisters.................no info
    1 PK.....$5....Boslovick......................11A Y-O

$80 so far, and as you can see, they are not really common ones, or at least not to me.

The rest of the budget went to packs of NO ID ones for various prices, and various quantities per pack...most 3-7 bulbs. The club had gotten together earlier in the season before digging at a member's house, and had tried to positively identify these NO-ID ones. They weren't positive on the names, so they chose to sell them as NO ID ones, rather than give them an incorrect name. I'm kind of guessing that they likely are not the more common ones, or they would have been in agreement on what they were.

I got NOID ones from divisions 1 through 7 and 1 in div 13, with the petal and cup colors listed.

I've never met a daff I did not immediately love except Rip Van Winkle and Von Sion...both look like they are having bad hair days. Several members there agreed with me on that one...lol

I was at the daff sale alone for over 2 hours, with a member helping me all the while. I think I was their best customer of the day, and they gave me a complimentary Society Membership. Whoo-Hoo!

I stopped by the iris sale then for a bit. Their TB were all $3, and the smaller varieties were $2. Not really being familiar with any varieties I was looking for, I passed except for buying just one...besides having already spent my budget.

There were georgeous daylily pics posted above the fans for sale. I just looked a bit, and it looked like they mostly ranged from $5 to $10...rough estimate. I was not looking for anything in particular, and was on such a daff high, I didn't buy any.

The hostas I did not take in at all. They were potted, and I noticed there were not many left at 11 when I left.

It was a wonderful morning, and I was glad I had gone alone. No one other than a daff lover would have been content to wait patiently on me to finish my shopping trying to get as many varieties as possible.

Sue

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting