Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

I know it's been unusually cool in Central Ohio...

alison
19 years ago

... but my WS California poppies are just starting to bloom this week! I mean, it's nice to see them and all, but they really were part of my blue-gold-orange spring color scheme, not the hot-pink/electric blue summer scheme!

Dang things are throwing off my exterior decorating....

Comments (6)

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Darn that Mother Nature...she shows you who's in charge!! Oh well..the best laid plans...

...Beverly

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

Could you tell us what plants are in your electric blue range. I am always looking for true blue.

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm slowly accumulating the blue plants, simply because they look so good with every other color.

The earliest and one of the best is "Georgia Blue" veronica
    {{gwi:1073010}}
    It makes a solid mat of blue in the spring, and will bloom again later in the summer if I prune it back hard. The foliage is low growing, smothers any weeds, and turns red in winter -- adding a little extra interest!

I like to tuck some blue pimpernel, Anagalis monelli in around everything. I think it's a lot like jello; there's always room for another plant.
    {{gwi:1073012}}
    I WS two packs of them this winter!

I've got a couple of my mothers deep blue spiderworts waiting to come up; along with Rhonda's electric pink they should light up any dark corner! I have some deep blue, no-name Siberian irises I'm nurturing along in the alleyway.

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm not sure the monkshood I have qualifies as "electric", but it is an awfully pretty blue.

It's planted against a fence, surrounded by lilies of the valley and gives me a thrill every spring. Or... maybe that's just my heart racing...

I love the look of the classic English delphiniums, but they don't seem to do very well for me. But I recently discovered chinese delphiniums, and I'm totally in love. It's another plant that needs to be in a lot more places! {{gwi:1073016}}

And last, but certainly not least --

Hardy plumbago, Ceratostigma plumbaginoides I really love this guy. It starts blooming mid July and keeps going till frost. And, once it gets cold, the foliage turns red. Tres cool, and sets the mood for my veronica the following spring!

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

Lobelia siphilitaca is an electric blue bloomer.

I agree, it has been a weird-weather summer.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I have heard raves about chinese delphs and now I know why! Stunning! The eternal search for that perfect blue - sounds like you guys have found it.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm