Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for Fruit & Nut Yard Trees

Posted by dave_xenia Ohio SW (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 13:45

I am moving to a home in the Xenia Ohio area and the yard is a clean slate. I am a long time gardener but have never put my hand at fruit or nut trees.

This is my question ... of the different fruit & nut varieties, if you wanted a good looking yard tree, something that a novice could handle the trimming, and I would like to avoid the use of chemical sprays near my home ... pretty much I am looking for the lowest maintanance tree that would give me a fruit or a nut while being handsome at the same time.

Is there such a perfect tree? What would be your choice?

Dave

PS. I am thinking in the area Plumbs, Mallberries, and my kids (and my bees) would just adore a cherry tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for Fruit & Nut Yard Trees

Illinois Everbearing mulberry - fast-growing, will make a great 'shade tree' in just a few years, makes a nice climbing tree for kids, and produces lots of top-quality tasty berries for about 6 weeks in early summer. Few pests - but you'll have to battle the birds for the berries.
Shagbark hickories have multi-season interest - big buds that look like tulips when they're unfolding, neat exfoliating bark, and warm golden fall color - and tasty nuts, if a bit tough to crack.
Northern pecan makes a great shade tree - but there need to be 2 or 3 varieties or seedling trees in the area to get decent crops of nuts.
Heartnut(J.ailantifolia var cordiformis) makes a great wide-spreading, almost tropical-looking tree, and the nuts are tasty, if a bit bland, for my taste.
Persimmons - American, Asian, and hybrids are all low-care/no-spray.

Check out Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery and England's Orchard & Nursery websites for good candidates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here