Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliff98_gw

Crepe myrtles are blooming

cliff98
19 years ago

Here in Cincinnati the crepe myrtles have begun to bloom. They seem to be blooming earlier this year than years past.

Crepe myrtles seem to do well here in Cincinnati. I am sure they do even better in Louisville. Any other observations on how they do in the rest of the Ohio Valley region?

Comments (14)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Great question. I was wondering that for Columbus. I have some seeds, but didn't sow them yet because I was concerned they would croak.

• cliff98
    Original Author
    19 years ago

If you are going to try crepe myrtles in Columbus I would expect some dieback.
    Out of curiosity, how do trees like southern magnolias and Albizia julibrissin do in columbus? Cincinnati uses southern magnolias as street trees, and Alibizia's grow like weeds here.

• Dagget
    19 years ago

The hardier crepes will grow fine, sometimes dying back. They tend to end as large clumps, like old lilac bushes, if left to themselves for a few decades.
    There are lots of southern magnolias in Columbus. Bracken's Brown Beauty is probobly the most commonly seen variety offered for sale locally.
    JD

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

I'd expect to see crepe myrtle dieback on many varieties in some Cincinnati winters as well.

• doniki
    19 years ago

Here in Northeastern Ohio, I have been growing the "Zuni" crepe myrtle for about 5 years. Some years it dies back completely to the ground, others it doesn't die back at all, depending on the severity of the winter. I planted a small "Catawba" last year that had very little tip die back after -3F. One thing is for sure that no matter how much they die back the always regrow very quickly and flower in August, when not much else is in bloom.
    Also, I have had good luck with Edith Bogue Southern Magnolia here and this year planted two 8 ft. Bracken's Brown Beauty... We'll see how they do.
    Finally just a note and some observations for those who might want to try crepe myrltes up here--- Our temps in NE Ohio seem to be somewhat influenced and moderated by Lake Erie, so the extreme cold isn't as severe as mid Ohio, but cold below 32F is more persistent which can be just as dangerous to marginal plant survival... Luckily, more than generous lake effect snow cover can aid in the survival of old wood on crepe myrtles allowing for less damage to occur. Also our consitant cloud cover and lack of sun in the winter may seem like a curse, but it is a blessing to many marginally hardy broadleaved evergreens, because the summer sun, in particular appears to do more damage by drying out evergreens such as Holly, Rhododendrons, and Southern Magnolias. these are just some of my personal observations.
    I look forward to here what others have to say on this.

• ohiogal
    19 years ago

I have a nice crepe myrtle that blooms every year in early to mid August and blooms at least 6 weeks. Many people grow them fine here in the Newark/Lancaster, Ohio area. I don't mulch or winter-protect it. I have seen pink, purple, and red ones around here. Lagerstroemia indica is only supposed to be hardy to Zone 7, but L. faurei is more cold hardy, and likely this is what I have here in Zone 6. It blooms on new growth that grows from the base of the trunks each spring. I always think it's died because it looks like its dead every May, then finally I see green leaves sprouting out in late May.

• Carole39
    19 years ago

Our 'Edith Bogue' is no longer. She was 6yrs old, in a lge container. Had grown from 3' to 9', bloomed her heart out but did not fit on the enclosed porch anymore without severely bending her branches. Not hardy in Z5 if exposed to the elements even though placed in protected area and 5" of mulch around pot. Didn't get a new one yet. Maybe next year.......

• doniki
    19 years ago

I have a question.... I was in Cincinnati this past week and did notice a few crepe myrtles in bloom. I saw a "Tonto" that was a good 8-10 ft. tall. I brought 3 "Tonto's" and 1 "Hopi" back with me to the Cleveland area. Does anyone have any recommendations about which crepe myrtles do well in Ohio??? As I said before, I have had 4 "Zuni's" for the past 5 years and they have always seeemd to do well for me-- though they died back, regrowth
    was very quick...

Carole39- sorry to hear about your Edith Bogue... Certainly is a plant that is worth another shot... I live in the city so I get the help of some extra heat, plus it is up against brick... Mine is Maybe 12-15ft. tall, but doesn't bloom as much as Bracken's Brown Beauty... though the evergreen leaves are worth it to me....

• cliff98
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Doniki,

Did you buy the 'tonto and hopi' in Cincinnati? If so do you remember the nursery?

The hardier ones, like the Tonto, Hopi and Zuni are supposedly the most cold-hardy trunking myrtles, but in Cincinnati virtually all the crepe myrtles were brought up from nurseries in the south. Very few places sell them here.
    In an average winter an exposed myrtle will suffer some dieback, but not a complete one. Last winter was pretty cold, but few of the myrtles had much noticable damage at all.
    I think crepe myrtles may be the type of plant that hardens off after a few winters, so keep planting them.

• ohio_palm_nut
    19 years ago

I have had 3 crape myrtles for a couple years now. One I have is a zuni and it has really taken off this year and has been blooming since july 10th. I cannot remember the other 2 types. I also have a southern mag that has done great. We have lots of mimosa trees in our area and I think this may be the best year I have ever seen them.

They have been blooming for a month and still have their bright pink blooms hanging on. I have a nursery and greenhouse I opened this year and I am selling crapes. I have Potomac(Pink),Natchez(White), and Red. Oh by the way I live about 25 miles north of Portsmouth Ohio. Dion

• cliff98
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dion,
    Maybe next year if I am still in Cincinnati, I will check out your nursery. Right now I have completely exhausted my landscaping budget.
    Waverly Ohio is about 2 hours east of Cincy, so not that far at all.

• aculberg
    13 years ago

We bought a house that had a baby crape myrtle, not knowing what it was, I accidentally cut it back to the ground this winter. Will it come back? I see little new leaves growing on the stumps! Also, its planted in front of some boxwoods in a place that is mostly shade, I am thinking of moving it. Where is the best place to give this beauty a chance at survival?!

• chrsvic
    13 years ago

I guess i know how to not grow crape myrtles - ive planted them at least 3 different times, they bloomed beautifully - and didnt survive the winter. I even tried so-called cultivars that were supposed to be hardy to the Chicago area.

Im about 80 miles north of Cincinnati, noticeably colder, but i think "microclimates" in your yard help them survive the winter. Sheltered from wind, nearer buildings, etc.

Crape myrtles ive seen down south always seemed to be doing well in hotter, drier locations.

• alison
    13 years ago

aculberg -- I've not grown crepe myrtles before, but several neighbors at my new house have lovely specimens in their yards. When we were chatting this morning one of them meentioned he had cut his down to the ground the second year -- and it came back stronger than ever. I think he said it didn't bloom terribly well that spring, but it certainly loked great the following summer (2009)

So there's hope!

I'm thinking of putting one in my back yeard this summer, if I can find a color I like.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor