Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvetmoonlight

Which option is better?

velvetmoonlight
14 years ago

I feel overwhelmed/stressed and I just want to get this over with. I have a bare/ugly corner in full sun ,zone 6 (ohio). I am a beginner gardener and want something that looks nice (perennials) and is low maintenance.

Here are my options:

A. Do nothing until next year in spring and it will just look unkempt/ugly until then. We get snow in November.

B. Use either of these plan:

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/easy/beginner-g arden-for-full-sun/

OR

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/easy/corner-gar den-plan-of-perennials/

Anything I can't find in the plan, either replace with something else or wait til next year to get whats missing.

C. Pick and choose plants I like (full sun, zone 6) and hope it will look good together. (My only concern with this is that I'll end up picking out things that aren't low maintenance or don't go together well.) I can try to look things up as I go but no guarantees I know enough info to keep me out of trouble!)

Being that is July (can still plant perennials right?) and selections might be limited, which option seems better? I desire low maintenance and I don't want to have to redo my corner for a long time. Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Ok...here are the links as clickable...Beginner Garden for Full Sun

or Corner of Perennials

Neither really looks all that maintenance free to me. If plants are not deadheaded before the seeds dry and drop, you may end up with a kazillion coneflowers or something. No perennials are truly maintenance free. There is always a certain amount of time that needs spent if things are going to be kept looking good.

How big is the sunny area? If I wanted something fairly maintenance free, I would plant one of the bigger Hydrangea Paniculatas that will thrive in full sun...like the Limelight Hydrangea Depending upon space, I would include a peony or 2 or 3. Again, depennding upon room, I would include a couple of fans of irises. I would also plant some clumps of daffodils for early springtime color...and mulch it all very well.

The daff foliage will die back off on its own and should be left in place until it is well yellowed.
    The peonies should be deadheaded after the blooms fade. The foliage can then be left in place until Aug or later for fall cleanup.
    The iris will need deadheaded after the blooms fade, and the ratty outer foliage pulled off as the season progresses.

These are just a few of my favorite things and I consider them pretty carefree. oh...one should not mulch over the top of the bearded iris rhizomes though. Preen will help to keep any weed seeds from germinating.

Sue

• gardenia2
    14 years ago

Use a garden store's landscape design kit..not sure where you live but I used Natorp's and it was only $50 and now my ugly corner is beautiful plus I got a $25 gift card to biy plants with the purchase. It's a big investment to plant things not knowing if it will work in your yard. I'll attach their website but if you are not in the Cincinnati area most garden stores offer this service I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natorp's Garden Store

• diggerb2
    14 years ago

how long have you been at your house? is this a brand new home? how big is the area you are working with?

i'd spend my time for he end of the summer and fall getting the site ready. with luck you might be able to get in 2 cover crops to turn into green manure and a 3rd one as a winter cover crop. this will really help get rid of weeds and add nutrients to the soil. then over the winter plan your space and make your plant selections so that when spring gets here you can start planting early in the season. then next fall you can plant more as well as spring flowering bulbs. to cheer you up if this is a new house put a couple of asters by your front door for this fall and plant some crocus and daffs in the same area for next spring. by the time your daffs have finished blooming you should be able to start working on you new garden.

also the advice above about design services is good. as well as observing this summer what plants you like and when they bloom so you can have a list for a designer of what you like and don't like.

diggerb

diggerb

Sponsored