Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crossing_patoka

What Wisteria to Plant?

crossing_patoka
20 years ago

Have done things backwards so far, but am thinking about changing.

Backwards:

Purchased a couple of 5" potted Wisteria from the local nursery for Helen for her bday, June 12th.

This past weekend built a mighty fine trellis outside of the kitchen window (SW facing) which needs the shade of the Wisteria.

Did a knowledge search on the web.

Found we have purchased the Frutense (SE US origin) type, variety Amethyst Falls, which has small flower groups, about 6" long. One poster on this site who also lives in Southern Indiana indicates these are "musky" smelling compared with the sweeter Asian types.

Now go Forward:

Contacted another local nursery which has the Asia type wisteria in either the Sinense (sp?) or the Floribundae (sp?) types that are about 2 feet tall and cost $16.99 each.

Definitely want the large waterfalls type flower clusters over the kitchen window. The trellis is about 12 feet tall and about 18 feet wide and about 4 feet deep and made of about 8 inch diameter cedar posts well sunken into the ground and sufficiently away (about 2 feet)from the southwesterly facing wall/roof of the cabin.

Question: Does anyone here have suggestions or recommendations about which of the above types of Wisteria we should choose for this application?

Thanks,

Mercury

Comments (6)

• lucky_p
    20 years ago

I've not knowingly seen the native W.frutescens, but my understanding is that it is a nice ornamental, and infinitely less aggressive and invasive than the dastardly introduced Asian species, which are second only to kudzu in their invasiveness, and, IMO, have fewer redeeming qualities than the devil Japanese vine that ate The South.

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

While asian wisterias can be invasive they can also be notoriously hard to get to bloom....... you could be left with a huge vine on your hands that never blooms...... my advice ?????? Wisteria frutescens ....... although lacking fragrance...... it is native..... less invasive and easier to get into flower....... :) It's AMerican wisteris

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

I wouldn't take the fragrance preferences of one poster as gospel about the "musky" bit (people's noses vary widely), but it is likely that the W. frutescens won't appear as fragrant to you as the Asian plant.

I'd still be inclined to go with your frutescens - because it has very attractive flowers in a deeper purple than the species, is reported to be a strong grower but not as rampant as the Asian wisteria (which might be able to jump that two feet to the roof while you're not paying attention, and has brought down even strong trellises by the weight of its growth).

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

We must live pretty close. I am in Paoli. I have Amethyst Falls, and a couple of others that I am not sure about. I don't think that A.F. stinks, it does bloom well for me, but not in long graceful streams. Have you been to Lutz' Nursery in Sulphur? Early this spring we were there when the wisteria that her dad planted many years ago was in bloom. Quite a site. It was in the top of trees that were probably 60-70 ft tall and taking over everything in site. I am considering growing one in a container on the porch if I can get my husband to build a structure for it. I have seen one in Louisville growing in a five gallon bucket that is doing just fine. May be the best way to keep it in bounds.

• jerrie
    19 years ago

HEY GUYS, I PLANTED I THINK WAS A JAPANESE WISTERIA, AND ONE SAID BLUE WISTERIA THEY HAVE BOTH BEEN PLANTED ATLEAST 3 YEARS, BUT NO SIGN OF BLOOMS. PLENY OF LEAVES AND VINES, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

• doniki
    19 years ago

Jerrie-
    Don't give up. I don't actually know the reason why wisteria's take so long to bloom, but I planted one in 1998 that bloomed for the first time in the spring of 2003 and again this year. From what I've read, they can take up to 7-10 years to bloom once planted. The vine I have itself is very nice and healthy over an arbor sprawling out about 20 ft. One trick that I have learned is to take your shovel and cut some of the roots around the base of the plants. I just jam the shovel in the ground around the plant a couple of times in the early spring. I know it sounds drastic, but I believe it "tricks" the plant into blooming, thinking it is going to die... It does NO harm to the plant and encourages better blooming and growth.

Sponsored