Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Lupins and Linaria - Ohio Valley Advice?

bakemom_gw
19 years ago

Ok, a very very nice person sent me a ton of lupines - no idea which ones, but that's the fun. What is your lupine experience? Not hot sun I guess? I dunno.

Also, I winter sowed linaria - toadflax - and planted it full sun. It's doing nothing, just kinda sitting there. Should I shade it a bit.

Any advice out there?

Comments (10)

• mike_g_
    19 years ago

I have tried to grow Russel Lupins for years. I grew them years ago in a spot with morning sun, shade after that. They did great.

No spot like that where I live now. No lupins growing either.

Mike G

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Bakemom...I can't grow a lupine to save my soul - as they say. I've tried from seeds, from small starts, from large plants. I've tried in full sun and part sun. I figure it's one I just can't do.

Have fun, good luck and I'll come over and look at yours!!

...Beverly

• bolecke
    19 years ago

I have some lupines growing in 4" and #1's. Some are in full sun all day and others only get full sun after 12:00. They ones that get only half day full sun look better. I have found that they don't like to be bone dry and sometimes they scorch in the full blazing sun. I also have to water 1x per day unless we get rain.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So I'm thinking perhaps morning sun? Half day? I have heard that from others. Well, we'll give it a shot this year winter sowing.
    Thanks everyone.

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

I grew linaria purpurea from seed this spring, and it bloomed great. Mine are all in full sun and are doing fine. I am worried that they may be invasive, though. I have read that they can be invasive, so I will have to keep an eye on them.

• JayC2
    19 years ago

I winter sowed some Russel's Hybrid seeds in a gallon milk bottle last season (3/03). The seeds germinated ok and I set out several in the garden that spring in full sun. Most of them died and the few survivors didn't bloom. But this year two of those plants came back and bloomed. Here's a picture of the largest one in bloom. It's about 12" tall. I want to grow some more if I can but they are pretty hard to grow here. Here's a picture if I'm lucky enough to enter the link correctly.......Jay

{{gwi:1073174}}

• JayC2
    19 years ago

Does anyone know why the picture didn't show. I entered:

(without the quotation marks)

I'd appreciate any help. thanks......Jay

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Hi!

I tried lupins from seeds that I strted indoors. They did great until I put them in the ground. Then they died. I got a lupin at the spring swap. I just plunked it in my new lasagna bed and it is doing great. I have no idea why.

I'll let you know how it does next year.

Mimi

• debb28
    19 years ago

I'd love to grow lupines! So, what are the easiest lupines to grow in Ohio? Is it best to grow seeds or buy a plant? Any suggestions?
    JC...loved your photo!!

• alanrocks
    19 years ago

I have success germinating lupines, but that's it. Getting them to actually grow is another matter! Currently I've got a single Texas Bluebonnet (Lupina texana) that I grew from seed. It is looking good for now, but I've been known to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" when it comes to those and other plants.
    I germinated some Linaria this year, and actually had a couple plants bloom. However that is a flower that needs to be in mass, not just one or two! I'm not sure I'll try that one again.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?