Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crepe myrtle

Posted by CTponderBecky CT5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 19:53

My sister lives outside Cincinnati, Ohio in Brown County.
after a stop in Williamsburg, VA on her way to CT she fell in love with the Crepe Myrtle tree. She was told that there is a hardy variety that can grow in Zone 6. Since her area is a 6-7 Zone, is there a crepe myrtle that she can plant. The area it would be planted in is protected from harsh winds, and receives sun all year long - at least a good part of the day. thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crepe myrtle

Hi there,
I am in Louisville- zone 6 we have crepe myrtles that do very well! One at my Mom's house has been there a LONG time- over 20 years at least- she added another a few years ago and I have a miniature called "Hopi"- we got these at Lowe's hardware- no special hardy variety that I know of...

also, they are very, very easy to start from seed....If she would like to try it, I will be glad to collect some of the 3 colors we have...

I think she would have excellent results with crepe myrtle- one of my favs, because they bloom later in the season when so many summer favs have faded, and the blooms last a long time.

just let me know...
best wishes,
Linda in Louisville

o

If I remember correctly, the Indian named varieties are the hardier ones....I planted one in Meriden, CT and it croaked. I went to school in Williamsburg and worked for CW, so I can appreciate her liking the long and late bloom time.

o

They are starting to become very popular in Cincinnati. It seems many landscape centers are starting to carry them. Here in Cincinnati, with the exception of the hardy varieties like 'Hopi' and 'Zuni', crape myrtles will most likely suffer dieback for a few years until the roots are fully established. They are also in peak bloom right now, so there are easy to spot.

o

Good Seed in Adams Coubty near Peebles has several for $25.

Mike G

Here is a link that might be useful: Their web page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here