Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogboysdad

Coreopsis?

dogboysdad
15 years ago

Last year I planted two different types of coreopsis. I planted over twenty-five plants over the course of a month. None of the plants survived the winter. The pink ones were the only ones I got back, and those grew back from from seeds. Have any of you had any luck with coreopsis as a perrenial?

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Coreopsis are sort of hit and miss for me. The pink ones froze out, or like you said, reseeded a bit for me. I had a variegated one, and it died. I now have a yellow one (don't remember the name), but part of the plant dies off on one side, but part of it survives. I'm wondering if it might just be a 'short lived' perennial in the colder climates.

Sue

• kowalleka
    15 years ago

I have luck with some - Creme Brulee, Golden Gain, Sweet Dreams. They have come back for several years. Have had bad luck with Moonbeam, all the Limerocks, Autumn Blush, the plain pinks and the plain whites.

• dogboysdad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lowes sold the Limerock as a perennial. I don't know of anyone around here that made it through the winter with it.

• palustris81
    15 years ago

Coreopsis can be a finicky plant. Good drainage will always help for better success. Also, a lot of the heavy blooming perennials, according to Tracy DiSabato Aust, benefit by being allowed to rest closer to fall and winter. She recommends halting heavy deadheading procedures of long blooming perennials such as Gaillardia, Salvia, Gaura, etc as of late summer/fall (August/September) so as to give them better chances to save energy for the following season. Perhaps try that with the Coreopsis to improve situations.

• alison
    15 years ago

My Early Sunrise is a champ in the full sun, sharp drainage garden, but I've never had any luck with the limerock either. I do scalp the plants pretty severely in late August, so that may help.

That said, I did have one plant that simply died overnight last week. One plant went completely brown and dry, right in the middle of all the other thriving plants. Weird.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I'm assuming you are talking about thread leaf coreopsis. Other than moonbeam they have all croaked for me. Now the nice lanceleafed and others like plains coreopsis are a joy to grow and do well here in Columbus.

• farfaraway
    15 years ago

I have three different kinds in my beds, all doing well: threadleaf Zagreb (a CHAMP!), Sunshine Superman and Lanceleaf. The Lanceleaf is a wintersown plant and it's grown beautifully but still hasn't bloomed this year; I'm thinking it might next year. I don't deadhead my coreopsis at all.

Sponsored
Ohana Natural Landscaping LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Albemarle County's Highly Talented Outdoor Living Space Design Experts