Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbiejan

any luck with sweet peas?

abbiejan
17 years ago

Hi -

I wanted to have the wonderful smell of sweet pea flowers in my garden this year.

Planted the seeds around a bamboo teepee. They sprouted right away but they are taking forever to grow.

They also seem weak to me -- keep falling on the ground instead of climbing straight.

Anyone out there have any luck with these in clay soil?

- Abbie

Comments (13)

• MarthaLouis
    17 years ago

Hi Abbie...My sweet peas got off to a slow start too. I have the annual and perinnal type of Sweet Peas. I have kept my pretty moist at all times, and my love the ferterlizer. You may need to amend your soil next year to help retain the moister. Hope this helps..
    Good Gardening..
    Martha

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Mine are gowing great guns! I'm very happy with my wintersown ones. They are growing up my trellis and looking great...

• blackswamp_girl
    17 years ago

I don't have clay soil, but mine are very small, too. I WS'ed them and they are maybe--MAYBE--a foot tall. I've heard that they don't like the heat of the summer, so I'm hoping that they just survive that and maybe give me some bloom in the fall. *sigh*

• gardeningfireman
    17 years ago

There are sweetpeas growing wild behind my fire station every year. I gathered about a cup of seeds and scattered about half right away, and the rest last spring. NONE grew! I bought a pack of seeds at the store, and planted per the instructions. Guess what; NONE grew!! I gave up on them!
    I also have not been able to start Cleomes (spider flowers)from seed. They self sow and grow by the hundreds, so I end up just transplanting them when they are a few inches high. They love to grow in the gravel of my driveway, so they are easy to pull up and replant. Good luck!
    Alan

• abbiejan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, all. Now I know it's not just me!

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Do try winter sowing them, or putting them to soak over night before planting in a box THEN planting out. I've never had luck direct sowing them.

I have "matricana" and it is really glorious! Give it a shot. Thompson & Morgan carries it, but I think I got my seed from Value seeds.

• fennelgrl
    17 years ago

I both winter-sowed and direct sowed sweet peas. The direct sown sweet peas either did not germinate or quickly petered out. I planted out my winter-sowed sweet peas in May or so into amended clay, under a teepee. They took longer to grow and bloom than the plants I moved into a container, but now they are about 3 feet tall and blooming like gangbusters. I tied mine to my teepee with strips of pantyhose. They weren't climbing the structure well on their own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cincinnati Cape Cod

• abbiejan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gee, I did nick my seeds with a knife and soaked them for more than 24 hrs before sowing them. They're tall now and have climbed the teepee but NO blooms. Not a one.

Yes, I do wish I hadn't made the teepee the focal point of my main flower bed this year. No, I won't be making that mistake again. Sigh...

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

I finally got two blossoms on my sweet peas! They popped just yesterday. I planted mine in a raised bed so it's good soil. I guess that Ohio weather is just not their "cuppa tea".

Don't give up hope yet!

~~Mimi

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I'll have to figure out how to post my matricana...it is blooming it's fool head off! Great plant!

• juanital
    17 years ago

Mine didn't do to well either...I had some bloom in June but not much of show...Bought annual seeds from store...put out at least 3 pks in two different places but only handful showed up and not well at that! I did the soaking overnight...Last year they did excellent...

juanital

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

Well, my Sweet Peas finally took off! They are blooming like crazy now that it's October!

Must be the goofy Ohio weather!

~~Mimi

• michigoose
    17 years ago

My sweet peas are still blooming and growing...plus, they've self-sown, and I have babies starting up. I have very heavy clay soil, but it is alkaline...I do have an iris which thinks it needs to Bloom! I'm not sure if it is a rebloomer , or one which just got a late start from me transplanting it...or something...dunno, but my eyeballs just about popped out at it!

Sponsored