Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salix Purpurea (Blue Arctic Willow)

Posted by kcail 6A KY USA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 6:23

Hello... I am in Louisville in new construction and wanted to know if anyone here has planted a Blue arctic willow shrub. If so, have their been any issues with it (disease- fungal/insect) etc.

My neighbor has two but they are in a very different location than I would like to place mine. His are front yard, North facing but protected. Mine would be North facing, exposed to open field and a drainage ditch/culvert which is pretty moist most of the spring. Also, we have irrigation for the grass and the bush may get back blow from the sprinkler heads.

Just wanted to know before I start digging. The plant is rated to Zone 6 (although another site I saw claimed zone 8).

Thanks,
Kcail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salix Purpurea (Blue Arctic Willow)

Heythere, what did you decide?

o
What I did....

• Posted by kcail 6A KY USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 20:43

I purchased two willows in 3 gal pots. So the plants are fairly small (18 in x 18 in) and kept them well watered because of our nasty drought. They went into fall ok, and I did have a few larger caterpillars on them, but it was easy to hand pick them off.

So they went into winter well, and I'm hoping that they make a great show in the spring.

o
RE: Salix Purpurea (Blue Arctic Willow)

Good to hear, good luck! Those may have been tiger swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. Salix purpurea is a host plant for them, but understandable if your plants weren't big enough to share as a meal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here