Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my Lycoris Squamigera not blooming as much?

Posted by susiebuckeye SW Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 10:53

I have about 12 Lycoris Squamigera bulbs and only 3 are blooming. Do I need to fertilize them or should they be divided? They have been growing in the same spot for about 10 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my Lycoris Squamigera not blooming as much?

They have been growing in the same spot for about 10 years.

This is what I discovered.

It takes a season or two for the bulbs to get established, and for you to see hopefully 12 blooms.
Those bulbs will multiply by growing, and then the bulb dividing/splitting, making 2 bulbs. They are much like any other bulb, that in time, there will be fewer and fewer blooms because they have grown too crowded. I'd suggest once they are finished blooming, and the flower stalk has dried somewhat, digging and dividing them up, so they won't be crowded.

I tend to try and do things when I have the time, and am thinking of it, so I don't know for sure what might be the best time for digging and dividing, and resetting them. Maybe someone else here has some input on that.

Sue

o
RE: Why is my Lycoris Squamigera not blooming as much?

I'd second that opinion, and I'm glad you asked.

I noticed this week that I have only 3 stalks from my plants. My situation may be exacerbated a little by the fact that the peonies and other plants I put in at the same time have really taken off, and there's more competition for light and water when it comes time for the flowers to bloom -- I certainly get a ton of leaves in the spring.

I would imagine early fall, once it cools off a bit, would be a good time to separate and transplant the bulbs. You might even get flowers next year if they have the fall and winter to adjust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here